Ultar II Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
quiver

quiver - Nov 11, 2006 7:40 am - Hasn't voted

name correction

One of the first summiters' name is wrong. "Kiysh Matsuka" should read "Kiyoshi Matsuoka".

aaporik

aaporik - Nov 13, 2006 1:35 am - Hasn't voted

correction

Guiver, thanks for correction.

quiver

quiver - Nov 23, 2006 9:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: correction

OK, let me point out 2 other typos:
"Tsuneo Hasagawa" -> "Tsuneo Hasegawa"
"Slato Wataru" -> "Saito Wataru"

And as for this part:
> the Japan Kathmandu Club, Tsutsumi Nobuo, Ando Masayuki, Slato Wataru and Hoshino Ryushi

Tsutsumi, Ando, Slato(Saito) and Hoshino are all family names, so switching the order of family and given names will make your article more consistent.

Anyway, Ultar is so closely related to the Japanese. Thanks for your great work, aaporik!

Corax

Corax - Jan 3, 2007 8:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Contradictions

There are a lot of contradictions on the page and it's obvious it's a cut and paste job.

Here's one example:

The 7,388m Ultar Massif, one of the highest distinctive unclimbed summits in the world, has been attempted over the last 10 years by approximately 15 expeditions, mainly of Japanese origin.

On the 21st of July (one report states the 11th) Akito Yamazaki and Kiyoshi Matsuoka reached the summit in an Alpine style push.


Please correct the info.

This is the reason for my low vote.

BigLee

BigLee - Feb 26, 2007 6:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Contradictions

Adopted and sorted! Like you say, former page was a complete cut and paste job - hence the contradictions.

Corax

Corax - Feb 26, 2007 6:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Contradictions

You should adopt some more of the Pakistani pages, if you have the time.
Masherbrum is another junk page, where the maintainer has made the same kind of cut and paste job. Some info is cut from my pages, but he hasn't even bothered to make the links active.
Great work on the Ultar II page.

BigLee

BigLee - Feb 26, 2007 6:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Contradictions

Yeah, Ultar is a dangerous mountain and it's quite irresponsible to pretend you know what you are talking about by copy and pasting from other pages then guessing the rest.
I probably will adopt Masherbrum at some point. I've got absolutely no photos of the mountain though due to bad weather when I was on the Baltoro Glacier. Don't know if you have any?

Corax

Corax - Feb 26, 2007 8:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Contradictions

Don't know if you have any?

I have some, but I think they are quite bad. I also had bad weather most of the time when passing the peak. I'll have a look later.

Damien Gildea

Damien Gildea - Feb 28, 2007 12:09 am - Hasn't voted

Attempts

Ultar has been attempted since 96. The French, Graziani and Trommsdorf, who have done some of the most significant superalpinism of recent years, attempted the Hidden Pillar. Likewise infamous Austrian Thomas Bubendorfer went to do it. The Hidden Pillar of Ultar is one of the great unclimbed objectives in world alpinism, just not as well publicised as others. A 3500m high arete, one day from the road. Jed Brown and Colin Haley have a Mugs Stump Grant to go there this year.

D

BigLee

BigLee - Feb 28, 2007 8:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Attempts

Yeah, I've heard about the hidden pillar of Ultar and the French. Cheers for that. I'll update in the next few days. I'm back in the UK in a couple of weeks and will have a proper search in the Sheffield Mountain library for info then. Cheers.

Damien Gildea

Damien Gildea - Feb 28, 2007 12:29 am - Hasn't voted

Bubuli's Throne

Big,
In the Getting There bit you may want to note that Lady Finger and Bubulimoting are the same thing. Also, there was a piece somewhere not so long ago about the spelling of Bubulimoting, but I can't remember where it was, sorry. The peak is meant to be the throne of Princess Bubuli, who waited for her prince to come back and marry her but he never did. Word is he got an IT job in an Indian call-centre. Anyway, there are various spellings but supposedly Bubuliomoting is the most correct. I used to call it Bubliomotin, so that was wrong too. I tried the NW face in 95 & 96 but got not very high. In 2001 in Karimabad I gave some Spanish guys some beta on the route and one of them was then killed on it by rockfall a week later.

BigLee

BigLee - Feb 28, 2007 8:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Bubuli's Throne

Thanks, I took the spelling off the Swiss map which I should have known would be wrong! I noticed the other week that the Swiss map has GIV as GVI!

Damien Gildea

Damien Gildea - Feb 14, 2008 11:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Typo - SE

2007 - Brown/Haley. The Pillar is the SE, not SW.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Ultar II' main page