Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Dean

Dean - Jun 7, 2003 8:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page on an area I had never heard of before. Your pictures are all superb.

Kane

Kane - Jun 8, 2003 5:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

thanks for the vote, I'll come check out some of your stuff. Take care.

Steven Cross

Steven Cross - Jun 7, 2003 9:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Really good page. the only downfall I can see on it is that there is only one pic on the mainpage and I see there are 19 listed. Pics add quite a bit of coler to a page and makes it more interesting to look at.



I don't know why you would want to hold back on posting a mountain even if it obscure. I see SP as a information resource even on mountains that are not known. I have posted a few obscure mountains myself. I have also seen AJ post some really good obscure mountains. I think that some of the obscure mountains are really interesting to look at and i might concider a few of them in the future, as so might somebody else.

Kane

Kane - Jun 8, 2003 7:31 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Steve, thanks for the four star. I'm wierd, I tend to over think "respect" issues. I still feel a little uncomfortable posting this mountain. I'll tell you why. First, I have a feeling this peak is supposed to stay a secret. I have absolutely no freakin idea why this classic climb is not published in Roach's extensive Lost Creek Wilderness book. It just doesn't make sense to me. Everything around it in the area including lower elevation peaks are represented in the book. Second, when I looked at the summit register and 9 people in 15 years had signed it, it surprised me. The peak is prominenet for the area, meaning you can't help but notice it. Of those 9 signatures, 6 were from 2 people. Those two people are extremely well known Colorado Montaineers. Maybe they keep coming back because they can count on a classic climb in complete solitude. So why aren't people climbing it? Mostly because it's not published in the book. In a nut shell, It has crossed my mind that this is someone's secret place and (like Jennifer Roach, Steve Mitchell's or Mike Garret's) I have too much respect for people like that to post someones secret gettaway. But I don't know that for sure so I posted the peak.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Jun 8, 2003 3:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I have felt the same as Kane about obscure submissions. But I've learned that even with the power of the internet, the obscurity may never change because of a number. It's not 14 thousand feet high! A long hike to nowhere is what many people people would categorize this mountain as. So much the better. The secret remains intact. Man may read the page, but to actually go to the trouble to visit the mountain is another story. Time and the peak's register will tell if I'm wrong.



People who truly appreciate the wilderness will respect it if they choose to visit Cata Mount. The mountain and its wonderful mystery will remain unspoiled.

Colonelpyat

Colonelpyat - Jun 7, 2003 10:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another good one. Lots of great pictures. I think I'll move this one to the top of my LCW priority list. Thanks for posting it!

Kane

Kane - Jun 8, 2003 7:33 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Allen,



Here is my respnse to Steve's reply. Maybe this will help explain why I am unsure this peak belongs here.



Steve, thanks for the four star. I'm wierd, I tend to over think "respect" issues. I still feel a little uncomfortable posting this mountain. I'll tell you why. First, I have a feeling this peak is supposed to stay a secret. I have absolutely no freakin idea why this classic climb is not published in Roach's extensive Lost Creek Wilderness book. It just doesn't make sense to me. Everything around it in the area including lower elevation peaks are represented in the book. Second, when I looked at the summit register and 9 people in 15 years had signed it, it surprised me. The peak is prominenet for the area, meaning you can't help but notice it. Of those 9 signatures, 6 were from 2 people. Those two people are extremely well known Colorado Montaineers. Maybe they keep coming back because they can count on a classic climb in complete solitude. So why aren't people climbing it? Mostly because it's not published in the book. In a nut shell, It has crossed my mind that this is someone's secret place and (like Jennifer Roach, Steve Mitchell's or Mike Garret's) I have too much respect for people like that to post someones secret gettaway. But I don't know that for sure so I posted the peak.

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Jun 8, 2003 12:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. I understand you wanting to show respect to those guys, but it is a public area, and although they are well known colorado mountaineers, they don't own the mountain. If it was Roach's secret place, he wouldn't have written a guidebook on the area. And although he didn't include Cata Mount in the guidebook, the book would be enough to draw people to the area to discover it for themselves.



At our local climbing area, the guidebook author deliberately left out a certain crag because he and his climbing buddies didn't want anyone else to know about it. Well, word of mouth prevailed and the place is no longer a secret. Final result: the author and his cronies are now looked upon as assholes (instead of a respected authority on the area) because they were trying to hog all the good places for themselves. Final result 2: He is putting out another addition to redeem himself.   I don't see this as Roach's style.



If you wanted to you could email Gerry Roach at grhigh@mountains.com and ask him about it. I've emailed him a time or two. He's a nice guy.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Jun 8, 2003 3:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Well done all around. Good info and pics. The apostrophes continue to be gremlins, but otherwise a great effort and the best of the LCW bunch so far. I'll suggest this one for the IU group next year.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jun 9, 2003 6:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page but whatever is up with the apostrophes? Great camping and "getting there" info but what about any possible fees/restrictions? Mountain conditions?

Cool pix! Glad you added this.

Kane

Kane - Jun 9, 2003 10:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Brian, if there were any fees I would post that info. I don't forget stuff like that. I submit all the important information you need to climb in this hiker friendly area. What can i say about mountain conditions that isn't already submitted in my overview and route information.



Per summitpost-Mountain conditions-"Are there any websites with up to date conditions info? Do you know of any mountain web-cams. Are there any phone numbers to call for current conditions?"

Do I really need a segment devoted to this useless question considering the answer is no, no, and no.



The apostrophe thing is a computer virus that I have had for at least six months. On my end it shows correct, on your end it shows like russian HTML. I am very aware of it. I know of no way to fix the problem with out getting a new system, and that aint happening.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jul 30, 2003 7:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Looks like you got the apostrophe thing figured out. Too bad there's not a ranger station nearby you could call for mountain conditions (although the link to the USDA has a number to call). Or maybe if you added a topozone map and listed the nearest town with a link for weather info or something. Your call.



Anyway, it's a great page and I upgraded my vote to 4 stars.

Grant

Grant - Jun 10, 2003 3:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page. A very interesting peak, and good information.

Edgy

Edgy - Jun 14, 2003 5:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

This is a really great page to study before heading out to Catamount. I had a blast on this mountain with Kane. The more northern (purple) route is fun and challenging, but not very long. I would recommend at least checking out the route before committing to the more southern (yellow) and relatively easier route. There wasn't much trouble with us traversing between them from below.



From my hiking experience in the Rockies, this climb compares, in my mind, to the Crestone Needle, but is much, much shorter on the exposed rock.



Kane's page is well done for this mountain. I especially loved his distance picture of the lynx ear rocks, which I somehow missed seeing while there. I think it's amazing how lynxlike they look in his picture.

miztflip

miztflip - Aug 23, 2003 9:38 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great Job, I've put this one high on my list for this fall.

RyanS

RyanS - Jan 2, 2005 6:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Woah, didn't realize I hadn't voted on this one!

Kane

Kane - Oct 4, 2005 5:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the recent votes. Glad you finally made it up the Catamount. That's a pretty complex little mountain. You wouldn't happen to remember who's name was on that register do you?



Where are you living these days?

Gareth

Gareth - Oct 5, 2005 12:37 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

John Prater was the latest signer. The register has grown a bit since you and Josh singed it. I will send you a picture…

WoundedKnee

WoundedKnee - Apr 8, 2006 4:37 pm - Voted 10/10

I'm really enjoying your pages

I'm sifting through the CO pages now. Your love of the mountains shines through in your writing. Thanks for your contributions...they're great!

Viewing: 1-19 of 19
Return to 'UN11,695 "The Catamount "' main page