Van Epps Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
hgrapid

hgrapid - Jun 13, 2016 6:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Getting there?

You note 7 miles round trip from the start of the trail, but not clear what trail? You note:

"If you want to save your car, or don't have high-clearance 4WD, park here and walk three miles two and a half mlles up the road to the trailhead. Otherwise, be prepared for very, very rough driving for about two miles. At the point where the two roads merge, there is good parking. Take the left fork upward, walking two miles to the Fortune Creek Trail, heading off to your left."

Is it 2 1/2 miles or 3 miles up the road? Then is it another two miles to the Fortune Creek Trail and then 3 1/2 miles to the summit?

Therefore, if lacking a 4WD, is it 17 miles round trip?

Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash - Jun 13, 2016 6:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Getting there?

Typically, you would park the car 1/2 mile from the trailhead. The road just becomes too bad after 2.5 miles. So you drive 2.5 miles on road 160, walk another 1/2 mile on road 160, and you find the Fortune Creek trailhead, which is the only trail off this road. From the official trailhead to the summit is another 3.5 miles. So if you park down on the Cle Elum River Road, don't drive up Road 160 at all, call it 6.5 miles each way.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Van Epps Peak' main page