Vintage pack, vintage cap & vintage me.

Vintage pack, vintage cap & vintage me.

That pack is an MSR pack, designed by Larry Penberthy and sold to me out of his garage where he did his inventing. There weren't many made as far as I know. Larry was the founder of MSR and designed the Thunderbird (the orange one) ice axe which was first non european ice axe to be made in the USA. He also invented the MSR stove and this pack which I used for about fifteen years. That pack was bomb proof but heavy so it was replaced by a "lighter" pack. I bought my MSR Orange Thunderbird ice axe from Larry out of his garage as well, it was one of the first made and I still own and treasure that axe. This spot I am fishing at is called "the chute" and is in the Enchantment area. July 1971 (37 years ago- yikes)
Dean
on Nov 10, 2008 7:17 pm
Image ID: 462500

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Kadee

Kadee - Nov 11, 2008 2:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Out of the Garage

Great picture Dean! That is awesome that you got one of the first non european ice axes and it is very cool that you got to use some of Larry's first designs.

Dean

Dean - Nov 11, 2008 11:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Out of the Garage

Thanks Kadee....it was an honor to have met Larry on two different occasions. I had no clue how he would affect the mountain arena at the time I met him but he sure made a solid contribution.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Nov 14, 2008 4:05 am - Voted 10/10

Old School

Egads. You didn't even take that monster pack off while fishing? My shoulders hurt just thinking about it. Thank goodness I am from the silnylon ounce counting generation and I was not alive to endure those frying-pan-carrying days.

Dean

Dean - Nov 14, 2008 9:45 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Old School

Yes Eric, we were men of steel in those days.
However, I wish we'd had lighter stuff in those days. A sternum strap would've been nice though and better hipbelts. I probably had about 50 pounds in that thing but I loved that pack. I did buy a Stephenson tent in the 70's, the first real lightweight tent ever made and it was a great tent that I used up until just a few years ago. The last trip with the Stephenson was when Bob and I went into Sheep Lake to do He/She Devil in Idaho.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4