White Sands Comments

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Dan the Jones

Dan the Jones - Mar 4, 2007 6:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Page..

Thanks for capturing this gem of New Mexico. Excellent info and wonderful pictures, I especially enjoy the B&W.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 4, 2007 8:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Page..

Thank you. I'd been unsure whether it was worth making this page or not, so I'm glad to hear some positive response, especially from someone who lives in NM. If you want to add or correct anything, please let me know.

And I enjoyed your new climbing pages for up there around the Rio Grande. I've been that way before but didn't know anything like that was out there. And for what it's worth, I think you and Dustiano handled yourselves well over that Antarctica flap. I saw your request to withhold votes and comments until you were finished reworking the page, and I was about to PM you guys and suggest saving your work, deleting the page, and then recreating it when you were ready so the page would get a fresh start, but then I saw your forum post about deleting it. Sorry you guys took so much crap! But I'm glad it hasn't deterred you from further contributions.

Dan the Jones

Dan the Jones - Apr 11, 2007 11:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great Page..

Thank you for the positive vote on our now none existant Antartica page. We tried to do our part for SP, but obviously it wasnt wanted. So we have added several new pages for our local benefit. Thanks again for this great page and your vote of confidence in us.

Mountain Jim

Mountain Jim - Mar 5, 2007 4:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks !!!

Thanks for another very well done page.
Peace, Jim

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 6, 2007 1:00 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks !!!

Thank you, Jim, for the comments and for the photos. I added a few more of yours to the main page, with credit to you, of course.

Bob

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Mar 5, 2007 6:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Page

Great page on a unique area.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 6, 2007 1:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Page

Thank you! I wasn't sure how this page might be received and can understand that some might think it shouldn't be here, but I think it's an incredible place that deserved some light on SP.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 15, 2007 12:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: White sand?

Maybe that was for beach sand. The sand really is white at White Sands; I've got a little vial of it here at home (yes, I broke the rules).

That alcohol rule? I'm trying to find out. If I do, I'll add that to the page and let you know.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 28, 2007 9:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: White sand?

I got an answer. Basically, it has to do with public drunkenness during college spring breaks, but please check the red tape section for a ranger's full explanation.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 28, 2008 8:53 am - Voted 10/10

Like Snow

Well, actually it was snow. Curtis and I have been on the roads during all of this terrible weather, and one place we stopped for a brief hike was White Sands. But, there was very little sand to see and lots of snow. I've put up a couple pic's, though it's difficult to differentiate between images of snow-covered dunes I shot and those that aren't shot by others. Nice page, again, Bob: Thanks so much for all you do for SP! --mark d.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 28, 2008 2:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Like Snow

Wow, Mark, you are right; it's only the snow on the plants that gives it away. Very nice shots! I will have to make room for at least one of them on the page. Thanks for adding and commenting, Mark, and Happy New Year!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 13, 2009 3:20 pm - Voted 10/10

One of the best

"Area/Range" pages I have ever seen. The layout, the text and the photos are something to behold in awe. I wish I could produce something like this.
All the best,
Marc

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 13, 2009 5:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: One of the best

Marc, thank you very much. Believe it or not, I actually enjoy making pages, so I appreciate it when I see positive feedback on them from others.

And Marc, you underestimate your talents with the camera (I'm referring to your PM from last night). The Delicate Arch shot is the best of that arch I've ever seen, and much better than any professional shot I've seen (frankly, I'm not too impressed with the work of most "pros"). It has great composition and lighting. I consider myself a pretty good amateur, but I'm not sure I could have pulled that one off. The composition, yes; the lighting, I'm not so certain. So it takes more than just luck!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 13, 2009 6:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: One of the best

Bob, your comment and compliment makes my day. I saw the photos on that page. I haven't had the time to go back and vote on each and every one of them, but trust me, they are beautiful.
I wish I had your prowess in write-ups, but I am trying. What I seem to be good at is to take one glimps and know that makes a great photo. I was recently telling a friend that I would like to put the camera down and pick up the pen. Ever since I put up my first write-up page, I have discovered so many more SP members, such as yourself, that I thought possible. I guess, now I'm making this up myself, "The keyboard is mightier than the camera."

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Feb 14, 2009 11:03 am - Hasn't voted

Re: One of the best

Mark, I know a professional photograph would chide us for our comments here, but I believe the "eye" is almost everything. No matter how good the equipment, no matter how well you can work it, if you can't see the shot, you get junk.

And I'm sure that as you write more pages, you'll find your voice. It's obvious from what I've seen of your pictures and pages so far that you have a lot to share.

Baarb

Baarb - Nov 4, 2011 6:31 am - Voted 10/10

Great page

I did wonder whether something like this would be on here with one thing and another. Some of the dunes are pretty hard to get up to be honest! My photos didn't come out very well so glad this resource is here. Was thinking perhaps add in a little section on how to make sure the whites come out well? I know there was a sign at White Sands with some suggestions but I obviously did the opposite of whatever it said. Cheers.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Nov 5, 2011 5:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page

Thanks. I tend to play around with different exposure settings and see how results turn out. If I recall correctly, the advice is to overexpose a stop or two because the white is so bright that the camera can underexpose, "thinking" the scene needs it. I'll have to look it up, though. When I took pictures here, and some were with a simple film point-and-shoot, I didn't do any of that.

Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Return to 'White Sands' main page