East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 50.77230°N / 115.325°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Difficult Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is a 2900’+/- ascent day. Bike along the Burstall Pass Trail until you reach a large boulder in the center of the trail. After just a few more minutes on the trail you will notice a treed avalanche gully on your left.

Route Description

Park your bike and proceed up the right side of this avalanche gully following a decent animal trail, if you can find it, until it tops out above tree line at 7500' onto a broad avalanche area exposing the col east of Burstall. Gain this col at about 8500' and then proceed to your right, staying below the ridge on the south side, following an animal trail and then large talus to finally gain the summit ridge.

This last 350’ is the difficult portion. Follow ledges below the right side of the ridge until you find yourself below an overhanging block on the ridge itself. Continue to the left in a human size crack making a few moves to eventually gain the ridge again. Scramble up the ridge carefully to the summit.

The views to the southwest encompass Robertson, French and their glaciers. On a clear day, the views would be similar to Mount Murray and therefore include the big three in Kananaskis, Mount Sir Douglas, Mount Joffre and Mount Assiniboine. To the north are views of Mount Engadine and Mount Chester.

There was a summit register in 2004. Return the way you came. Watch the exposure on the north side of the ridge.

Essential Gear

Alpine Ax for snow patches in September. Bike, Bear Spray, Helmet, Gaiters.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.