Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 9, 2015
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Add Heading Here

We took 3 nights. Left Yakima early Thursday then drove to North Fork Sauk Trail 649. Hiked 8.25 miles and joined PCT for 3/4 mi to White Pass and camped. Next Day hiked up Foam Creek Trail, then over ridge into White Chuck Glacier area. (Glacier is practically gone and lots of boulders and rocks but fun.) Hiked to Glacier Gap at base of mountain 7200' campsites are there with rock shelters. We then got up early and hit summit at 8:00 am via Gerdine/Cool Glacier hiking around and behind Disappointment Peak, up a ridge, then up a snow finger to summit. Some crevasses and we roped up at the Glacier junction. Last 400 ft in clouds and no visibility on top. As we came down clouds descended and fog rose. We met one other party but they turned around as no visibility, and thunder and lightning began. We went down to high-camp ate, packed, and hiked out in a higher elevation route that appeared to be the standard route more up on the glacier. There was no visibility so it was compass and GPS out. Eventually got back to the trail and got back to White Pass about 8:00 pm and camped for the night. Spoke to some campers and they mentioned that all parties they spoke to had bagged it. We got lucky that we went very early. Next morning (Sunday) we hiked the 9 miles out and went home. ON the way in first 6 miles of gentle slope, then 3000 ft in there were about 2.5 miles of steep switch backs to the PCT, then a lot of up/down through boulders. On the way out, from high camp there was no visibility and GPS showed us going high then meeting our trail and crossing but had had no clue where we were for quite awhile. Very nice hike, but a bit harrowing with no visibility on the way out, and no trail to follow in the rocks and boulders. It's notable that there is a deep ravine cut where the glacier melts out into a lake below and on the way in we had to search for a crossing point but on the way out we crossed low at the lake and it was fairly easy there.

Comments

No comments posted yet.