Keddie Peak

Keddie Peak

Page Type Page Type: Album
Keddie Peak is located in northeastern California, east of Red Bluff and very close to Lake Almanor. I hiked to the summit from Homer Lake. The round trip was only about 1.6 miles, 800 ft of elevation gain, and took less than 1.5 hours. It is a cross country hike with no trail, but it is not technical.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Dec 8, 2009 3:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Making pages?

I am glad to see stuff put up on this peak, which is for my money, the northernmost peak of the Sierra Nevada. Are you going to make peak pages for any of the albums you have posted recently? I hope you put up a page on Bully Choop! I am planning on taking a stab at Tombstone Mountain (2kprom) next summer, if you wanted to hit it.

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Dec 8, 2009 5:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Making pages?

Bubba, I won't be making pages from the albums. Sacha asked me to submit some pics for CA P2k's that don't have pages. I decided that organizing them into albums and giving a brief description would help keep things organized. I think I am done with the CA P2k albums, but I will be adding a full SP page for Bonanza King. I liked that hike. Let me know when you are going to Tombstone. Do you have a route picked out?

Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Dec 19, 2009 2:16 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Making pages?

I have not picked out a route but your brief account was discouraging. That whole area east of the Sac River is so mysterious...but probably with good reason. Great Bonanza King page by the way.

mtbaxter

mtbaxter - Aug 25, 2012 2:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Aug 19, 2012 Summit

We approached from just north of Greenville. Leave highway 89 at what the Lassen NF map lists as Road 201 and set your odometer to 0. Its signed as Old Haun Road and is paved for the first 200 feet or so.
Turn right at 1.9 miles, signed "Greenville Saddle 3 miles". This is road 28N38 on the NF map.
Turn left at 7.0 mi, signed Homer Lake" at Greenville Saddle. This is road 28N60 on the NF map.
The road ends at a parking area and forestry bulletin board at 10.2 miles. On topo maps a road labeled 28N60A goes left and goes much closer to the mountain but this road has been completely blocked off (large stones followed by 4 large logs piled atop one another). My Lassen NF map shows this road as a trail now, which is what it has become, or rather soon will be. Its still a good road but narrowing as vegetation grows in from the sides. The roads mentioned so far are in great shape and a standard car could reach the parking lot.
Walk this road/trail as it circumnavigates a ridge with point 7015. We left the road at a campsite at the beginning of the saddle, where a jeep road seemingly headed toward the summit to the left. This road, however, soon veers SE away from the mountain. We headed toward the SE ridge from there but our route had very annoying dense forestland, then dense scrub brush, then unnecessary class two rock scrambling. We eventually reached the summit. Our route down, however, was much easier, which I will describe in reverse.
50 yards past the campsite leave the trail/road on the left, essentially going down the end of the saddle. After another 50 yards or so head left (west) up a shallow chute, to the right of which is a steeper ridge with cliffs on the other side (directly above or south of Homer Lake). This route has only foot high manzanita like scrubs which you can easily meander between or over, and then the only rock is directly below the summit.
The summit has a leaky metal register box with a broken large baggy and no register notebook anymore. If you can please bring one!
Our views sucked because of the nearby Chips Fire (63,000 acres). In fact when I got back to our Jeep I briefly wondered what the falling snow was, until I realized it was falling ash! Soon blackened pine needles were falling as well. We hurryed off the mountain.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.