Arch Canyon, to Angel Arch

Arch Canyon, to Angel Arch

Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 37.54600°N / 109.671°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Arch Canyon sits in southeastern Utah’s Cedar Mesa to the north of Rout 95. It is so called because of a number of arches at the upper end of the canyon. An 8.5 mile long 4WD road takes you from the mouth of the canyon in Comb Wash to where Texas Canyon branches off of Arch Canyon crossing the stream countless times. Cathedral Arch will be visible from the end of the road. A half mile hike on a trail will take you to where Angel Arch comes to view.

This is a description of an 18.2 mile roundtrip hike from Comb Wash to Angel Arch and back. On the day that I did this hike, I was lucky enough to not see any vehicles or even hikers but beware that loud annoying ATVs and motorcycles may be present on the road. Like many other nearby canyons, Arch Canyon contains a number of Native American ruins. I went to a fenced area of ruins near the beginning of the canyon but did not see anything that I wanted to take pictures of. This page describes the natural features of the canyon and not the ruins. The external link at the bottom of the page provides some information about the ruins.

Getting There

From the junctions of Route 191 and 95 four miles south of Blanding, UT, turn west onto Route 95 and travel 14 miles to Comb Wash between mile markers 107 and 108. Turn right (north) onto County Road 229 (maybe marked as 205) which is a well graded dirt road. Drive for 2.1 miles and turn right at a T. A short distance after that, just before crossing the creek, I found a parking area on the left. My GPS measurements are from this spot. A road goes to the left (west) into Arch Canyon. You could potentially drive the road a slightly more until the start of 4WD.


Route

All distances are per my GPS
Place
Elevation
Distance
Mouth of the canyon
4950 ft
zero miles
Jct. Hotel Rock Canyon
5180 ft
2.90 miles
Dream Speaker Spire
5350 ft
2.40 miles
Jct. North trending branch
5480 ft
1.60 miles
End of Road
5600 ft
1.70 miles
Angel Arch View
5640 ft
0.50 miles
Total One Way
-
9.10 miles


From the parking area, head west up the road. You will soon find yourself inside the canyon. After crossing the stream for the first time, you will find a very short spur trail on the right that goes to a wall where ruins can be seen behind a protective fence. I did not take any pictures of the ruins.

Lower Arch canyon
Lower Arch canyon
Lower Arch Canyon
Lower Arch Canyon


In 2.9 miles, you will reach the junction with Hotel Rock Canyon on the right (north).

Junction of Hotel Rock CanyonJunction with Hotel Rock Canyon


Continuing up the main canyon.

Near the junction with Hotel Rock Canyon
Between Hotel Rock Canyon and Dream Speaker Spire
Between Hotel Rock Canyon and Dream Speaker Spire
Between Hotel Rock Canyon and Dream Speaker Spire


Dream Speaker Spire comes to view.

Dream Speaker SpireDream Speaker Spire
Dream Speaker SpireDream Speaker Spire


Looking back at the spire.

Dream Speaker SpireDream Speaker Spire


Open canyon floor.

Near Dream Speaker Spire


More canyon views.

Near Dream Speaker Spire
West of Dream Speaker Spire


Another look back at Dream Speaker Spire.

A look back (east) at Dream Speaker SpireDream Speaker Spire


This impressive horn appears near the junction of a north trending side canyon.

Near junction of north trending side canyon
Near junction of north trending side canyon


Nameless arch/alcove after the side canyon.

Alcove/arch?


Near the end of the road at the junction of Texas Canyon.

Near the junction with Texas Canyon
Near the junction with Texas Canyon
Junction with Texas Canyon
Near the junction with Texas canyon


Cathedral Arch will be visible from the end of the road.

Cathedral ArchCathedral Arch
Cathedral ArchCathedral Arch


Head north following a trail at the bottom of Arch Canyon.

On the trail to Angel Arch
Near Angel Arch


In half a mile from the end of the road, Angel Arch comes to view.

Angel ArchAngel Arch

External Links

http://www.gjhikes.com/2016/11/arch-canyon.html.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.