Attempting Griffith Peak in deep snow, never mind Charleston Peak

Attempting Griffith Peak in deep snow, never mind Charleston Peak

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 36.23249°N / 115.6461°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 29, 2023
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Overview

Charleston Peak

 

The 11916 ft Charleston Peak is the highest summit in the Spring Mountains of Nevada an hour drive north of the city of Las Vegas. The abrupt rise above the desert floor makes Charleston Peak the 8th most prominent peak in the United States outside of Alaska ands Hawaii. Its summit can be reached via a loop trail each arm of which is 17-18 miles roundtrip with roughly 5000 ft of elevation gain (given the ups and downs on the trail).

 

It was early December 2022 when I felt that I needed to get Charleston Peak off my “To Do List”, therefore I made reservations for a 3-day trip to Las Vegas for the last weekend in May 2023. After years of low snow/drought, winter 2023 turned out to become the second snowiest year on record. As we got closer to my trip, I began having doubts that I could do the 18-mile day hike in deep snow so I began to think about alternative peaks that I could potentially climb.

 

 

Griffith Peak

 

At 11056 ft, Griffith Peak is the 3rd highest Peak in the Spring Mountains. It rises 400 vertical feet above a saddle close to where the South Loop of Charleston Peak Trail goes. At only 8.7 miles roundtrip with 3400 feet of vertical gain, I had thought of Griffith Peak as an attractive alternative should Charleston Peak prove to be too lofty of a goal to achieve.

 

 

Trip Report

 

Trailhead Elevation: 7650 ft

Highest Elevation Reached: 10360 ft

Hike Length: 7.0 Miles

 

May 29, 2023

 

Left the hotel on Las Vegas Strip around 4:20 AM (sunrise 5:30 AM). While driving on Kyle Canyon Road, I stopped at a spot to take this picture of Charleston Peak (on the right). The trail climbs the slopes outside the left edge of the picture, then follows the long ridgetop to the summit.

 

Mt. Charleston at dawn
Mt. Charleston at dawn

 

Reached the trailhead and by the time I started my hike, it was 5:24 AM. View of Cathedral Rock.

 

Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock

 

The trail went into a forest of tall pine trees giving me good views of the surrounding cliffs.

 

Echo Cliff
Echo Cliff

 

Echo Cliff
Echo Cliff

 

Dramatic views at sunrise.

 

Mummy Mountain
Mummy Mountain
Sunrise
Sunrise
South Loop of Mt. Charleston Trail
South Loop of Mt. Charleston Trail
South Loop of Mt. Charleston Trail
South Loop of Mt. Charleston Trail

 

More cliffs.

 

South Loop of Mt. Charleston Trail
South Loop of Mt. Charleston Trail
South Loop of Mt. Charleston Trail
South Loop of Mt. Charleston Trail

 

Mummy Mountain.

 

Mummy Mountain
Mummy Mountain

 

For a short time, the summit of Charleston Peak came to view. Long way away.

 

Summit of Mt. Charleston
Summit of Mt. Charleston

 

The trail traversed the width of what looked like an avalanche field. The snow was hard and slippery but at that spot, the slope of the avalanche field was quite mild. I was hoping that I would not start running into difficulties so soon. Took this picture a little farther up showing the valley that housed the avalanche.

 

Avalanche Valley
Avalanche Valley

 

I then had to cross the upper parts of the same avalanche field again. Still nothing difficult.

 

Avalanche Field
Avalanche Field
Avalanche Field
Avalanche Field

 

The trail got onto a sunny snow free slope making me happy. A big wall could be seen on the other side.

 

Wall
Wall
Wall
Wall
Wall
Wall

 

I could however see slopes that were completely covered by deep snow.

 

Snowy slopes
Snowy slopes

 

At an elevation of 9100 ft, the trail made a turn and went on a north facing slope that was covered with snow. I could not see any footprints on the snow and the trail itself was presumably buried under the snow.

 

Start of snow
Start of snow

 

From Caltopo website, I had downloaded the correct path of the trail into my GPS. It seemed that I could follow a snow free beaten path on the crest of the ridgetop not far from where my GPS showed the trail was, so I began to do that.

 

At around 9300 ft, the beaten path disappeared but I could see footprints on deep snow on a forested slope. The snow was not all ice but did have slippery spots. Stopped to put on an old pair of crampons that only had 4 short prongs under the arch of my foot, better than nothing.

 

Where I put on crampons
Where I put on crampons
All snow
All snow
Snowy forest
Snowy forest

 

Looking back at a steep icy slope I traversed.

 

Steep slope I traversed
Steep slope I traversed

 

My GPS showed that the trail zigzagged up the slope, but the deep snow left no sign of the trail. I began to go directly up the forested slope. There were a few places where I had to walk over exposed rock, but the crampons did ok.

 

No sign of the trail
No sign of the trail

 

Got a view of the summit of Charleston again. I knew that once I reached the ridgetop, the rest of the trail might be on a south facing slope that might be snow free but at that moment, I was only hoping to reach the top of Griffith Peak.

 

Summit of Mt. Charleston
Summit of Mt. Charleston

 

The snow had created its own hilly terrain on top of the slope. Where the slope of the snow hill and the mountain added, it became extremely steep. There was no avoiding the steep spots. There was a deep snow hole around every tree. Going up had become very time consuming. At one point, I slipped, and my wrist got stuck onto the strap of my hiking pole that was deep in the snow. That saved me from going down, but my hiking pole became bent.

 

Going directly up the snowy slopes
Going directly up the snowy slopes

 

By 9:00 AM, at an elevation of 10360 ft, I had had enough. Found a small area with exposed dirt where I sat to eat. It was steep and I had to hold on to my stuff.

 

Highest point I reached
Highest point I reached

 

I then began to go down the way I had come.

 

Going down the snowy slopes
Going down the snowy slopes

 

Reached the trail at 10:50 AM and 9100 ft elevation. I was then running into other hikers frequently. View of the wall again.

 

wall
wall

 

Wall
Wall
Wall
Wall
Wall
Wall

Avalanche field again.

 

Avalanche field and Mummy Mountain
Avalanche field and Mummy Mountain
Avalanche field
Avalanche field

 

 

Lower down the trail.

 

Mummy Mountain
Mummy Mountain
Charleston Peak
Charleston Peak
Mummy Mountain
Mummy Mountain
Cliffs
Cliffs
Cliffs
Cliffs
Cliffs
Cliffs

 

Reached the trailhead at 12:16 PM. Lots of people were around, and the parking area was full.

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.