Azusa River-East Basin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.00000°N / 137.00000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike and Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: 3-4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start at Kamikochi.

Route Description


Start in Kamikochi and walk along the well-travelled path, past the ranger station. Do not cross the popular Kappa bridge. The path follows the Azusa River upstream and the views are spectacular if the weather permits. Your first objective is the Myojin campground, which is about 1 hour walk from the ranger station. If you get a late start, you can camp here or continue to the Tokusawa campground/lodge, which is another hour and fifteen minutes upstream at about 1555 meters above sea level. After Tokusawa continue upstream for one hour twenty minutes toward the Yokoo campground/lodge. Cross the foot brodge at Yokoo. At this point the trail steepens and parallels a stream toward the East basin. A 3 hours hike (5.13 km) and gain of about 600 meters will take you to the first lodge in the East basin. The views are spectacular, especially at sunset. From the lodge/s take your choice of trails up to either Oku-Hotaka , Karasawa, or Kita-Hotaka (1.99 km), or to the Hotaka Dake Sanso (hut) between Oku-Hotaka and Karasawa.

Essential Gear


Backpack, tent and sleeping bag (if camping).

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.