Beaver Basin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.52729°N / 109.23369°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See "Getting There".

Route Description

Trailhead Elevation (2 Wheel Drive): 8760 ft
....................................(4 Wheel Drive): 10600 ft
One Way Distance (2 Wheel Drive): 5 miles
...................................(4 Wheel Drive): 1.5 miles


From the end of 2 Wheel Drive (8760 ft) hike or drive the Beaver Creek Spur Road 3.5 miles through forests of Aspen and later Pine until the end of the road in the upper portions of Beaver Basin (10600 ft).

Locate Jackass Pass (11660 ft), a saddle between Pilot Mountain and Dry Peak (11849 ft). A trail will take you up a meadow and then through a Pine forest toward Jackass Pass. You may lose the trail in the forest but above the treeline (11500 ft) you will find the trail again. The last 100 vertical feet below the pass are covered by loose scree but the trail will help you negotiate the slopes.

At Jackass Pass, turn northwest and follow a broad ridge covered by alpine tundra past a false summit and onto the true summit.

Essential Gear

Hiking boots.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.