BIAŁA WODA

BIAŁA WODA

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Water

Małe Pieniny Mts. - the nature reserve

Waterfall...
Mentha...
Basaltic outcrop...
Verbascum...

In the area of the Małe Pieniny Mts. several nature reserves are established. One of them is called Biała Woda and it is situated eastward on the edge of Małe Pieniny. In this site the village of Biała Woda was located previously. This area was inhabited by Lemks, an ethnic group of Ukrainians, called also Rusini Szlachtowscy (Russians of Szlachtowa), people who came here from the southern Carpathians and settled in this place in the XVIth century. This mountainous people were shepherds. The village of Biała Woda was streched along the Biała Woda stream. At present only scarce remnants of this village can be observed – a small chapel, original crosses, some old gardens. This chapel was renowed in 2006 thanks to Filip Ikoniak, a local Lemk. In the reserve steep lime rocks creating a beautiful landscape, and flora are protected. A little before an entrance into the reserve a small basaltic rock is also protected as a nature monument. It is here a unique object among lime outcrops. On a northern slope of a high lime outcrop called Smolegowa Skała some rare plants grow: Dryas octopetala, Crepis jacquinii and Trisetum alpestre. They are recognized as postglacial relics and can be find also in the Tatra Mts. In some places beautiful large trees being remnants of a primeval forest can be seen. The reserve is divided into two parts by the sheep pastoralism in this area.
It will be continued.......
Scheme map...


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
yatsek

yatsek - May 10, 2010 2:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Rusyn Link

Romek,
Thanks for another interesting album. I hope you like this Lemko link.
Cheers,
Jacek

Romuald Kosina

Romuald Kosina - May 11, 2010 3:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Rusyn Link

Jacku, I do not know this page, very interesting and useful.
Thanks a lot!!!!!!
Nice to get news from you!!!
Najlepszego!!!!!!!!!!
Romek

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

PieninyAlbums