Big Bad Wolf (5.9, 4 Pitches)

Big Bad Wolf (5.9, 4 Pitches)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.15057°N / 115.42718°W
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.9 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Climbers on Big Bad Wolf and Physical Graffiti
Climbers on Big Bad Wolf and Physical Graffiti

This route has quickly become one of the most popular at Red Rock, and it currently is on Mountain Project's list of the top 20 climbs in the country. With this route and with also-popular Physical Graffiti right next door, Riding Hood Wall sees a lot of traffic at times, and you shouldn't be surprised to have to wait in line for one of these two routes, even if you arrive early.

Originally, this route was three pitches. Now there is a short fourth pitch to bolted anchors, supposedly to encourage climbers to top out and use the walk-off instead of rapping down the route on top of other parties.

Scenery is great on this route, and the three original pitches are all well-protected. Before doing the walk-off, take some time to scramble up to the ridgetop above and check out the great views across the valley to the big sandstone peaks of Red Rock.

This route gets morning sun.

Getting There

Take Charleston Boulevard through Summerlin, after which it magically becomes SR 159. Before reaching the Scenic Drive for RRCNCA, turn right onto the signed road to Calico Basin. Turn left at the second major intersection. (The first has signs clearly warning about private property.) This second intersection is signed for Red Springs and is really hard to miss. Drive a short distance to a large parking lot. Note: the parking area does not open until 7 A.M.

Hike north on a trail. Pass a huge outcrop (Cannibal Crag) and then descend a bit. Now hike and scramble up and west to Riding Hood Wall, which is plainly visible; look for the face with some long cracks splitting it. (And look at the picture below.)

Riding Hood Wall
Riding Hood Wall

Big Bad Wolf is just left of Physical Graffiti, an obvious crack route.

Big Bad Wolf and Physical Graffiti
Big Bad Wolf and Physical Graffiti

Route Description

P1-- 80', 8 bolts, 5.9. If you like steep, juggy stuff, this is a pitch for you. I read on Mountain Project that someone broke a key hold at the start, making it harder, but I had no trouble getting started.

P2-- 70', 8 bolts, 5.8. This is a slabby pitch. The consensus seems to be 5.8, but I found this pitch to be the easiest of the original three by far and thought it was more like 5.7 or even 5.6. But I'm not arguing against the consensus.

P3-- 70', 8 bolts, 5.8. Mix of slab and jugs. Consensus is 5.8, but I thought one section was more like 5.9. Just goes to show...

P4-- 30', 2 bolts, easy Class 5. Really just a scramble; I would call it Class 4. I did not see the two bolts, but I was not aware that they're to the right about 1:00.

Big Bad Wolf P1
Big Bad Wolf P1

Big Bad Wolf P2
Big Bad Wolf P2

Big Bad Wolf P3
Big Bad Wolf P3


Big Bad Wolf P4 Anchors
Big Bad Wolf P4 Anchors

All pitches have bolts and chains for anchors.

The walk-off is to climber's left after finishing the 4th pitch. Descend an obvious gully, with some occasional Class 3 and 4 moves.

Essential Gear

At least 8 draws, plus gear for anchors. With a 70m rope, you can lead the first three pitches as one, with little rope to spare. This is what I did; I was solo-leading the route and decided to link the pitches to save time and energy.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.