Bonneville Salt Flats

Bonneville Salt Flats

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

One of America's Great Salt Pans

Ancient Lake Bonneville evaporated thousands of years ago, leaving behind today's Great Salt Lake and the vast salt flats between Wendover and the Great Salt Lake. Today, there is a white sea of salt spreading below the impressive Silver Island Mountains and other desert ranges.

The crust of the salt pan is typically thick and hard enough to walk and even drive on, though rains can turn sections into a gooey quagmire that can trap both feet and cars. The Bonneville Speedway near Wendover has been the site for the setting of many land speed records.

Drivers on I-80 can stop virtually anywhere to check out the salt pan, but the safest place to stop is probably the rest area just east of the Nevada-Utah border.

The Bonneville Salt Flats were featured in the film Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End for the portion set in Davy Jones's Locker, and they have been in numerous other movies and advertisements.

Please feel free to attach any shots you have of the Bonneville Salt Flats.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.