Burro Pass East

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.51470°N / 109.2217°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Follow the directions under "Getting There" to the two-track on the east side of Geyser Pass.

Route Description

Trailhead Elevation: 10180 ft
One-way Distance: 2.25 miles


Head north and hike the two-track half a mile up a meadow. (You can turn to get great views of Mt. Mellenthin (12645 ft) behind you). You then reach a trail that goes into a tight mountain valley where clusters of spruce trees alternate with meadows filled with flowers. The valley gradually turns northwest. After 1.5 miles, you reach Burro Pass (11180 ft) (alternatively, from La Sal Loop Road, you could have gone to Warner Lake, 9370 ft, and followed a 3.25 mile long trail that would have brought you to Burro Pass from the other side).From here, head northeast, up a gentle broad ridge past the treeline at 11500 ft. Alpine tundra covers the rest of the slopes to the very top. You may encounter one area of loose scree which may be best traversed by sticking to the left side of the ridge.

Essential Gear

Hiking boots.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.