Calcite Mine

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.29908°N / 116.11016°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This hike takes you from Route S-22, 500 vertical feet up the slopes of Travelers Peak on a rough four wheel drive road to the site of an abandoned Calcite mine. You will not see any mine shafts or abandoned mining equipment but the views of Salton Sea and the surrounding desert will be superb. You can then follow a beaten path to the top of a 1122 ft high hill for even better views.

On its way to the mine, the road crosses a canyon. For variety, you could leave the road and hike up the slot canyon to reach the mine.

At the trailhead on Route S-22, you will see a sign explaining how in the early years of World War II, Calcite was used in weaponry. Once an appropriate synthetic material was found, the need for Calcite mining quickly went away.


Calcite Mine Map
Calcite Mine Map
 

Getting There

From Christmas Drive in Borrego Springs, drive 19 miles east on Route S-22 and look for the trailhead on the north side of the road 0.2 miles east of mile marker 38.

Route Description

Trailhead Elevation: 600 ft
Mine Elevation: 1120 ft
The hike to the mine is 2 miles long one way, you can go another 0.25 miles to the top of Point 1122 ft.

The description below takes you up the road to where it crosses the canyon, into the slot canyon, to the mine and Point 1122 ft then down the road back to trailhead.

At the trailhead, the road goes down around 70 vertical feet into the South Fork of Palm Wash and then comes back out to continue on a plain. You will have good views of Travelers Peak.

Travelers PeakTravellers Peak



You will then see a canyon on the right side.

Canyon

 

Canyon

 

Canyon



Badlands will also be in view.

Badlands



After 1.5 miles, the road drops into another canyon. You can continue on the road but for a little bit of adventure, you can leave the road and hike up the canyon.

Where the road crosses the canyon



A slot canyon quickly forms.

Toward the slot canyon

 

Slot Canyon

 

Slot Canyon



Hiking up the slot canyon is non-technical but you will come across a few obstacles 4-5 feet tall.

4-5 ft tall step in slot canyon

 

Slot canyon



Pretty soon you will reach a couple of choke stones. Hikers cannot go beyond this spot.

Choke stone in the slot canyonChoke stones



Retrace your steps 100 feet to find this steep slippery slope on the east side of the canyon and climb to the top of it to exit the canyon.

Where you exit the canyonThe slope that will get you out of the canyon



Looking back down into the canyon.

Looking down the steep slope



Head east and go up to the top of one ridgeline, down a little and then up another ridgeline to reach the end of the road at the mine. I found a beaten path and cairns guiding me but these may not be a permanent feature. Salton Sea will be well-visible.

Salton SeaSalton Sea

 

Calcite mine area



You can look to the southeast to see Point 1122 ft. Follow a beaten path down and then up to the top of Point 1122 ft.

Point 1122 ftPoint 1122 ft



Views from the top of Point 1122 ft.

Salton SeaSalton Sea

 

Travelers PeakTravelers Peak

 

Slot canyon in the badlands

 

Looking SW

 

Looking south



You can then hike back to the mine and follow the road back to trailhead. The site linked below mentions that once you reach the canyon, you can leave the road and head south into the canyon but have to be careful to find your way back up to the road at the appropriate spot.

On Calcite Mine Road

 

Point 1122 ftPoint 1122 ft

 

Point 1122 ftPoint 1122 ft




When to Hike

Winter, late autumn and early spring. Summer can be dangerously hot.

External Links

http://www.hikespeak.com/trails/calcite-mine-trail-anza-borrego-desert/.

Guidebook: The Anza-Borrego Desert Region by Lowell & Diana Lindsay.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.