Cassidy, Rich & Ledge Point Trail Loop

Cassidy, Rich & Ledge Point Trail Loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.74483°N / 112.3019°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cassidy Trail is 9 miles long. It starts on Route 12 in Red Canyon and heads north going beyond the junction with Losee Canyon Trail to end at Casto Canyon Trail. Rich Trail is 2 miles long. It starts in the southern parts of Cassidy Trail and goes parallel to it. The loop described here will take you from Route 12 in Red Canyon north to Brayton Point on the southern rim of Losee Canyon. It then goes south to Ledge Point to give you a good view of Red Canyon before returning to Route 12.

The 19th century outlaw Butch Cassidy is said to have hidden in this area after a brawl in the nearby town of Panguitch.





Map
Map



Getting There

From the intersections of Routes 89 and 12 (6 miles to the southeast of Panguitch, UT), drive more than 4 miles east on Route 12. Between mile markers 4 and 5 (west of the tunnels) look for trailhead on the north side of the road. Make sure you do not mistake this trailhead with “Butch Cassidy Draw” on the east side of the tunnels.

Route Description

Place
Elevation
Distance
Trailhead
7300 ft
zero
Brayton Point
7880 ft
2.15 miles
Ledge Point
7850 ft
0.95 miles
Back to trailhead
7300 ft
2.20 miles
Total
-
5.30 miles






Trailhead
Trailhead



When I was in the area, the trails were well signed. Follow Cassidy Trail north at the bottom of a valley among the red hills.







Beginnings of Cassidy Trail
 
On Cassidy Trail
 
On Cassidy Trail
 



After 0.80 miles, you will reach the signed junction with Rich Trail on the left. Continue straight on Cassidy Trail.







On Cassidy Trail
 
On Cassidy Trail
 
On Cassidy Trail
 



The trail makes a few turns and goes up to reach the top of a plateau where you will find tall trees (You will go past 2 other signed intersections with Rich Trail. Continue on Cassidy Trail).



Plateau south of Brayton Point
 



At 2.15 miles you will reach Brayton Point. You will suddenly find yourself 400 vertical feet above the bottom of Losee Canyon. The views are spectacular.






Losee Canyon from Brayton Point
 
Losee Canyon from Brayton Point
 








Losee Canyon from Brayton Point
 
Losee Canyon from Brayton Point
 



Cassidy Trail continues north. To do the loop described here you must retrace your way back south to the intersection with Rich Trail and then follow Rich Trail south to reach the intersection with Ledge Point Trail.






On Rich Trail
 
On Rich Trail
 



Follow Ledge Point Trail south a short distance to the end of it at Ledge Point where you will have good views of Red Canyon more than 500 feet below.









From Ledge Point
 
Red Canyon from Ledge Point
 
From Ledge Point
 
Red Canyon from Ledge Point
 
From Ledge Point
 



Head back north to Rich Trail, follow it east to Cassidy Trail and turn south to return to trailhead.



On Rich Trail
 



Red Tape

No Fees or permits needed for day hikes.

For all rules and regulations contact:
Powell Ranger District-Dixie National Forest
Panguitch, UT

Weather forecast

See the forecast for the nearby Bryce Canyon National Park:

Forecast.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.