Castle In The Clouds Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.72860°N / 71.3225°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description


This route heads up the auto road which ends up at the Castle In The Clouds. For this hike you'll need to pay the $10.00 admissions fee which will get you into the mansion at the summit. You can park your car just after the entrance booth and follow the road. In approximately one half mile, you'll reach the branch off trail for the waterfall. This cascade falls about 30 feet in front of your eyes and is almost picture perfect.

From here continue on up for another 0.75 miles to where you'll get your first scenic vista out over Lake Winnipesaukee. You'll also be able to see some of the lower peaks of the western White Mountains from here. The views are great but continue on up to the carriage house in another 0.75 miles. From here it is a short jaunt up to the summit and the mansion. Along this short trail you'll get plenty of views including the lake, Mount Shaw (highest of the Ossipee Mountains), and Belknap Mountain on the other side of the lake. The total mileage round-trip to descend the same way would be 4.0 miles with nearly six hundred feet of elevation gain.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots, snacks/water, trekking poles, and a camera.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.