Cathedral Mountain, OK

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.36719°N / 98.57646°W
Additional Information County: Major
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1570 ft / 479 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

There was once a page for this mountain but it seemed to disappear. Who ever had the page before done a great job and I hope others have pics & additional info to contribute.

Cathedral Mountain is a hikeable mesa in the Glass/Gloss Mountains in northwestern Oklahoma. The Glass Mountains got its name from the selenite in the mountains that reflects light as if they’re little broken glass or mirrors. Gypsum is another mineral prevalent in the mountains here and causes the white rings that are seen on the sides.

Some say Glass Mountains, others say Gloss Mountains; neither one is wrong but the state and the locals refer to them as Gloss.

Getting There/Trail Route

Stairway to the topStairway & path to top
Gloss Mountain State Park is located on US412 in Major County; about 10 miles northwest from the county seat of Fairview; 5 miles west of the US412 & US 60 junction. There is a roadside park on the north side of the road. Pull into the area and there will be the entrance in to the parking area for the park. The park is open from dawn until dusk - so no camping allowed.

The trail to the top is well marked as a path of white crushed stone that leads to a stairway & handle railings to south rim of the top. There are a couple of benches on the way and a picnic table half way up. Once to the top there are markers to tell where you are on the top and the trail continues to the north rim of the mesa for viewing Lone Peak, the tallest of the Gloss Mountains. Total round trip distance is 1.2 miles and elevation gain of about 150’. Also looking north you can view the Cimarron River. To the south and to the west are more of the Gloss Mountains.
Trail markerTrail Marker

Red Tape

Although it is a state park, Gloss Mountain State Park receives no state funding. Near the trail head is a donation box and also a tray of selenite stones that are for souvenirs. It is asked that you take no others from anywhere else on the premises.

Watch out for snakes.

External Links

www.okmajordev.org - a good brochure online

The State of Oklahoma has an excellent wildlife/scenic drive map of The Great Plains Trail of Oklahoma and it features Gloss Mountain area. We found ours at the Visitors Center as we crossed into OK but they have them at the park under the leanto in the parking lot.
Lone PeakLone Peak
The SphinxThe Sphinx


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.