Coal Slide Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.61300°N / 76.613°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-2)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page.

Route Description


This route starts on an old coal road which stays relatively flat for the first half mile. You'll then reach an old rundown brick coal station building where a trail will turn off the road. Continue towards the ridge of Bear Mountain along this trail. After about 100yds. you'll reach a junction and you'll want to head right. The trail will then wind through some very deep sinkholes and eventually start to climb up the coal slide. This is a great place to look for fossils if you're interested too. From the top of the slide there are wonderful views of the entire valley. The trail then continues the last fifty feet to the summit. From here however, you can travel onto many different trails which could add an entire two days to your trip if you'd like. Look at a topo map and decide your course of action.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking shoes and some food/water. Also a camera might be a good idea.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.