Cora Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.68498°N / 10.59815°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up/Class2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To get to the trailhead follow the same directions as on the main page in the "getting there" section.

Route Description


This route starts just to the south of Casa Cora, a large fortress with the biggest armoury in the region. The trail climbs steadily through the woods and then crosses through an alpine meadow at about two miles. The views are wonderful in all directions. The trail then starts to climb another two miles to the edge of the ravine. It drops off probably close to a thousand feet on your left side so watch your step. Also you will pass a beautiful little cascade on this section of the trail that runs into the ravine. From here you turn north a little bit and start the steepest part of the climb. In winter conditions all gear would definately be needed. The summit cone is like a giant needle that drops off on all sides. The trail is nicely maintained though so you shouldn't have too much trouble. From the summit (if you got the key), check out the old chapel. Views are breathtaking in every direction. To return, take the same route down. The total roundtrip distance is about 9 miles with an elevation gain of about 3,300ft.

Essential Gear


Nice day pack and in winter conditions crampoons and ice axe may be necessary.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.