Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jul 29, 2004 2:05 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page again. Also the map explains a region which most of us are not familiear with. Thanks for sharing!

nader

nader - Jul 29, 2004 9:51 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for your vote. I checked out your website. Too bad I don't know German. Nice pictures.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Jul 29, 2004 12:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Wow, what a beautiful place! Is skiing really going on in Iran? Is there a healthy climbing community? Are women allowed to climb, and if so, are they unable to dress properly?

Can Americans climb in these mountains?

nader

nader - Jul 31, 2004 1:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for your vote and interest. I don’t see why climbing might be a problem for Americans. In fact, there seems to be an American Summitpost member (dnhess) who has done so. I have not communicated with this person but you can read his comments on the Mt. Damavand Summit Log page. I am a US citizen of Iranian descent and I did not encounter any problems.



Skiing has been “really going on” in Iran since it began more than 50 years ago. There are 6 equipped ski resorts near Tehran and they get very crowded on weekends (in winter). The closest of these is on the slopes of Mt. Tochal which is directly north of Tehran. The lift for Tochal starts at the end of a street in northern Tehran. There seems to be a total of 16 ski resorts in Iran.



Iran is covered with mountains. There are few cities and towns that are not close to a mountain. Mountain hiking is very popular. Mt. Tochal is probably the most crowded mountain in the world. I do not do any technical climbing and have no first hand information about it but that too seems to be fairly prevalent. I have found many Farsi websites about technical climbing. In the three weeks that I spent in Iran, besides my guide, I met one other person who had done some climbing in the Himalayas. Women can ski and climb. Unfortunately, the government forces the women to cover their hair. The general population, at least the vast majority of those that I met in and around Tehran, are sick and tired of these rules. The government is well aware of this and in recent years they have significantly watered down the enforcement of such rules. Everywhere I went, I saw women wearing scarves that only covered half their hair. Skiing is no problem anyway because a ski hat can be used to cover the hair. If you go away from the cities, you can do what you want but don’t expect to find anyone in a bikini in a public place.

tlogan

tlogan - Jul 30, 2004 3:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another really nice page... I take it that you have visited Iran recently... its cool to see someone cataloguing their mountains like this... I have been fascinated by these mountains for years. Cheers -Tim-

nader

nader - Jul 31, 2004 11:52 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for your vote and kind comments. It had been 21 years since I left Iran. As a teenager, I always wanted to go explore the mountains but besides skiing in Dizin and climbing Mt. Tochal (north of Tehran), I never got to climb anything else. This trip was a dream come true. Having experienced the beauty of the American west gave me a point of reference. There are so many other mountains in Iran. Hopefully I can go climb more next summer.



I really appreciate your interest and support.



Nader

mountainfire - Feb 13, 2005 12:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment







nader

nader - May 30, 2005 4:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for your vote.

palic

palic - Nov 22, 2005 7:51 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Again really great page, but I could not see the "new" ski-lift at your photos, and the remains of restaurant at the summit. BTW, the remains of that ski-lift seemed for us that are of the same age as the remains of the restaurant... we were there in April 2004.

nader

nader - Nov 22, 2005 9:59 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for your vote. In April there must have been still enough snow to ski. I have seen your trip reports to Iran. Great job.



The lift/restaurant I am talking about can be seen in this picture. This half built structure was on the summit of the mountain in June of 2004. Last time I was there (in 1983) it was not there. I could see what looked like ski lift columns going from the top of the top lift (3600 m) to this structure on the summit at 3719 m. I assumed it was a new lift being built. I climbed this mountain alone so there was no one else to ask.

desainme

desainme - Nov 22, 2005 6:59 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Azad Kooh seems to be the highest between here and the Caspian. Seechal shows up on Google Earth as a southern arm of Mt Dizin, The Dizin ridge runs east to west.

nader

nader - Nov 22, 2005 8:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for your vote and interest.



You are right, if you go directly north, Azad Kooh will be the highest peak before reaching the Caspian Sea. The high peaks of the Alam Kooh/Takhte Soleyman Massif will be out of the way to the northwest. I don't think I understand your comment about Seechal being an arm of Mt. Dizin. Does Google provide names for the peaks?

desainme

desainme - Nov 23, 2005 5:22 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

It does for some. Unfortunately the altitude of the peaks seem to be depressed by tens to hundreds of meters, so it can be tricky. The Matterhorn and Annapurna are fairly trashed by their process, but Dhaulagiri looks fairly realistic despite the loss of 1000 ft.

nader

nader - Nov 23, 2005 9:19 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Is this different than the Google Earth that is linked to SP? That does not seem to provide names or elevations. If it is different, could you please make a link or give me the address of the site?

desainme

desainme - Nov 23, 2005 12:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

http://earth.google.com/

Google Earth



Downloads for PC's

nader

nader - Dec 9, 2005 1:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you for all of your votes.

Viewing: 1-16 of 16
Return to 'Dizin (Mount Seechal)' main page