Draper Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.52670°N / 111.7553°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Draper Ridge is somewhat abandoned trail that hooks up with the Jacobs Ladder Trail after 4 miles. It is not as well used as the heavily traveled JL or other routes as it has become somewhat of a "game trail" type outing rather than a distinct well defined singletrack, and its a mile or two longer with more vertical, though not by a significant margin. Nevertheless its a worthy outing if you're looking for something new, or makes a great loop hike with the JL trail. 

Getting There

The approach directions are very similar as Jacobs Ladder. From Orson Smith Trailhead in Draper, follow the Corner Canyon Rd for about 1.5-2 miles(sorry, did not measure exact mileage) until you reach an area with a large, loose, gravel pit like area with some limestone rock in the ground on the left. It is approximately 100 yards downcanyon from an entry point onto the new as of 2013 signed "rattler trail" which is on the right(this will be a much better identifier than the mileage). Draper Ridge starts on a singletrack trail heading back west from this parking area, though no signage exists. There will likely be many bike tracks and the trail is in good condition here, so if you're on a bad trail you aren't in the right place. Obviously if you reach the Ghost Falls Trailhead where Jacobs Ladder starts, then you have gone a mile or so too far. 

Route Description

Follow the good singletrack uphill which switchbacks around 6 major times as you ascend, and varies between ST and DT. After about a mile, look for a small singletrack that forks off to the right east(small cairn) just as the main trail you've been on turns left(north). Its clear if you are looking for it, but in the dark easy to miss. From here, the trail ascends another 3 miles, for a total elevation gain of 4000' till you hit the junction with the Jacobs Ladder, at a location called "the flats". The trail varies between good, easy to follow singletrack, to full on steep marble rocks on granite in a loose gully type stuff, and can be hard to follow at times. Once connected with Jacobs Ladder, follow the directions from that page below. 

From the junction at 9,200 feet, Cross a flat, meadow area known as "Cowboy Camp." The trail continues east gaining elevation slowly as it contours into the south end of the cirque west of Lone Peak. Cross the cirque to its north side. Aim for the low spot on the ridge. From here you can climb grassy ledges to reach an area at 10,700 feet north of Lone Peak's summit. Climb to the ridge proper at 11,000 feet and contour to the main ridge where the Class 3 scrambling begins. Scramble a short distance to reach the final summit blocks on Lone Peak.

Essential Gear

Hiking stuff

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lone PeakRoutes