Escalante Canyon, RT 12 bridge to town of Escalante

Escalante Canyon, RT 12 bridge to town of Escalante

Overview

This is a page about a 15.5 mile one way hike in Escalante River Canyon from Route 12 Bridge over the river to the town of Escalante.

Escalante River originates in the highlands of southern Utah and travels 90 river miles east and then southeast to reach Colorado River/Lake Powell. East of the town of Escalante, the river enters a sinuous canyon with colorful sandstone walls. The life giving water of the river creates a lush riparian environment at the bottom of the canyon in sharp contrast to the more arid lands only a few hundred feet away.

A trail starts at the bridge over Escalante River on Utah’s Route 12 and heads 2.2 miles west up the canyon, crossing the river many times, to reach Escalante Natural Bridge and then a natural arch. Beyond the arch, the trail may become difficult to follow in the dense vegetation but you could hike in the river which is usually no more than ankle to mid-calf deep to reach the town of Escalante. Upstream of the junction with Death Hollow, the volume of water in Escalante River will significantly decrease and the river may go completely dry for a few miles. At times of snow melt or heavy rain, the river can swell to many times its usual size making it dangerous to enter the canyon, check with Escalante Interagency Visitor Center for up to date information.

It took me 7 hours to do the one way hike. Walking in the river on a hot early September day was quite pleasant. In cold weather, walking in the river will obviously not be possible.

Escalante Canyon Hike
Escalante Canyon Hike

Getting there

Route 12 Bridge Trailhead:
From the town of Escalante, drive 14 miles east on Route 12 to the bridge over Escalante River. Trailhead parking is on the far side of the river.

Escalante Town Trailhead:
Drive to the east end of Escalante on Route 12. Just to the east of the high school, turn north onto Cemetery Road and make an almost immediate right. Drive the dirt road east and then turn north. In less than a mile, you will reach the parking area.

Route

My GPS had poor signal connection in the canyon. Distances are per the guidebook below.


Place
Elevation
Distance from Route 12 Bridge Trailhead
Route 12 Bridge Trailhead
5200 ft
zero miles
Escalante Natural Bridge
5260 ft
1.80 miles
Sand Creek Junction
5300 ft
2.70 miles
Death Hollow Junction
5380 ft
7.50 miles
Pine Creek Junction
5660 ft
14.50 miles
Escalante Trailhead
5820 ft
15.50 miles





At the trailhead under the bridge on Route 12, you will see this sign. Turn right and follow the trail upstream. The trail will soon cross the river.

Trailhead, under Route 12 bridgeTurn right



The canyon is pretty broad at first.

Near Route 12 trailhead
Escalante Canyon
Escalante Canyon
Escalante Canyon



One of the many river crossings.

One of the countless times that I crossed Escalante River



You will see the natural arch to the distant west.

Zoomed view of natural archZoomed view of the distant arch



After 1.8 miles, Escalante Natural Bridge will come to view to the south.

Escalante Natural BridgeEscalante Natural Bridge
Escalante Natural BridgeEscalante Natural Bridge

 

Escalante Natural BridgeEscalante Natural Bridge



Continuing up the canyon.

Escalante Canyon
Escalante Canyon



At 2.2 miles, you will go under the arch that you saw earlier.

Natural ArchArch



After the junction with Sand Creek, the canyon becomes tighter. Big walls are seen around.

Big Wall
Escalante Canyon



The trail may fade away in the dense vegetation but you can go into the river and continue walking upstream.

walking in the river
Walking in the river
Walking in the river
Walking in the river
Walking in the river
Walking in the river
Walking in the river
Walking in the river
Walking in the river
Walking in the river



The junction with Death Hollow marks the halfway point in the hike. At the junction, turn left following Escalante River. The volume of the water will significantly reduce. When I was in the area, the river went totally dry after 15 minutes (but water appeared again in one hour). The canyon becomes even tighter and the walls higher.

Upstream of Death Hollow
After the junction with Death Hollow
Upstream of Death Hollow
Upstream of Death Hollow
Uptream of Death Hollow
Upstream of Death Hollow
Upstream of Death Hollow
upstream of Death Hollow
Upstream of Death Hollow
Upstream of Death Hollow



Farther up the canyon.

Upper Canyon
Upper canyon
Upper canyon
Upper canyon
Upper canyon
Upper canyon
Upper canyon
Upper canyon
Upper canyon
Upper canyon
Upper canyon
Upper canyon



After the junction with Pine Creek (where a water gauge can also be seen), the canyon will suddenly end.

Sudden end of the canyon



Go through a cattle guard maze and look for a trail on the left that will take you up a hill where the farmlands to the north of the town of Escalante can be seen.

Farms to the north of the town of Escalante



Continue uphill to reach the trailhead.

Near town of Escalante Trailhead
Town of Escalante trailhead




Red Tape & External Links

No permits needed for day hikes. For overnight camping and all other info, contact Escalante Interagency Visitor Center.


Guidebook: “Wow Guides, Utah Canyon Country”, Kathy & Craig Copeland.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.