Fog, Fog, and more Fog

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 42.45530°N / 122.9491°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 15, 2005
Fog from Lower Table Rock .
Vernal Pool atop Lower Table...
My hope this morning was for fog, but I was hoping it would clear in a decent amount of time. I was wanting to get some pictures of the fog lifting just off of Lower Table Rock. Well when I reached the top I was not disappointed, well not totally. There was definately fog, so much fog that I could barely see 5-10 feet in front of me. I have been up to Lower Table Rock several times before this, but the fog was so thick that I actually thought at one point (just slightly) that I might be going the wrong direction as there is a small trail on top that offshoots to the left. I followed my instincts though and made my way to the Western edge of the rock. I hadn't dressed extremely warm for this as I am normally pretty warm blooded, but after about an hour the fog was not going anywhere and it was starting to get chilly as there was frost still on the ground. At this point it was only 10:15 am, I finally decided the fog was not going to lift and so I starting heading back across the old abandoned landing strip on my way to my car. Every 5 minutes or so the sun would tease me and pop out for a second, only to be swallowed up by the fog again. Finally, when I was probably less than 100 yards from the opening where the trail meets the open portion of this rock, the sun came out in full force. In just a matter of minutes visibility went from about 10 feet to being able to see across most of Lower Table Rock. At this point, I was at the aforementioned point where the trail branches to the left, so I took this trail to the Southern cliffs of the rock. I sat there for what must have been 1 1/2 hours watching the fog tease me some more as it would open up to the valley and then quickly cover it again. Eventually, out of nowhere, Mount McLoughlin's snow-capped peak shown through the clouds. So finally, I was warm and had gotten what I had came for, pictures of Mount McLoughlin and Upper Table Rock shrouded in fog together. I would definately do this trip again possibly, at sunrise maybe but with warmer clothes so that I am not so inclined to leave before the real beautiful photo opportunities present themselves.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lower Table RockTrip Reports