Foster Field Trail/ Ridge Whack

Foster Field Trail/ Ridge Whack

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.92850°N / 69.0743°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1-2)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up + Bushwhack
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page for Foster Field trailhead.

Route Description


DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS BUSHWHACK WITHOUT A TOPO MAP AND COMPASS AS THE ROUTE IS EXTREMELY DENSE WITH VEGETATION!

This route starts out similar to many other trails in New England as a simple walk in the woods with some elevation gain, but winds up as a whammy with the last half mile bushwhack. Start off at Foster Field parking area and hit the trail.

The beginning of the trail is nicely groomed and you don't gain a lot of elevation. The first section of the trail also is in kind of a boggy sort of area with a few ponds along the trail. The trail starts off heading west and then takes a sharp turn north. Once you turn to the north the climbing begins at about 1.4 miles from the trailhead. At about 2300 feet the trail finally starts to make its steady climb up the small gully between Doubletop Mountain to the east (your right) and Squaws Bosom to the west (your left). There are also a few nice little views as you head up. Continue climbing until you reach the saddle between the two peaks. This is where things get interesting.

From the saddle you'll want to head up slope to the west through some thick stands of pine and other shrubbery as the bushwhacking part of this climb begins. The going can be very slow at times because of the thickness of the vegetation. Push onward and upward towards the summit. You'll reach a false summit on the way, but continue upslope to the southwest. Once you reach the highest point you'll want to head directly south to a large rock slab which offers very rewarding views after a difficult summit hike. Be very carful here though because one wrong step can be extremely dangerous as the slab is extremely steep!

Descend the way you came up, but remember, plenty of extra time should be allotted for this hike as that half mile bushwhack is very slow going and takes quite a bit of extra time. Round-trip distance is approximately 6.4 miles with a 2,000 feet of elevation gain.

Essential Gear


TOPO map, Compass, comfortable hiking shoes, trekking poles, long pants, food/water, and a camera.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.