Frary Peak, Antelope Island

Frary Peak, Antelope Island

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.96210°N / 112.216°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 5, 2021
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Overview

The 6596 ft Frary Peak is the highest point of Antelope Island in Utah’s Great Salt Lake. Due to low water levels, Antelope Island is really a peninsula connected to the mainland from the south. Driving access to Antelope Island is provided via a causeway from the north. The island sits near the southeastern corner of the Great Salt Lake and is roughly 15 miles long north-south by 4.5 miles wide east-west. The bulk of the lake is situated to the west and north of Antelope Island.

 

The summit of Frary Peak rises 2400 vertical feet above the waters of the Great Salt Lake. A 3.5 mile long trail starts to the north of the peak and goes all the way to the summit.

 

 

Frary Peak

Left the hotel near Salt Lake City Airport at 6:45 a.m. Driving through the freeways of a large city to go mountain hiking felt odd but then suddenly the city was gone and I was over the Antelope Island Causeway. Stopped to take a shot of sunrise over Frary Peak. Sounds of birds made me feel as if I was by the ocean.

 

Frary Peak from Antelope Island Causeway
Frary Peak from Antelope Island Causeway

 

Drove a little and then stopped to take more pictures.

 

Faray Peak from Antelopes Island Causeway
Faray Peak from Antelopes Island Causeway
Deseret Peak, Stansbury Range
Deseret Peak, Stansbury Range

 

 

Reached Antelope Island, drove south on the main road that paralleled the east coast of the island and then got on a short spur road that went up some 300 steep vertical feet to reach the trailhead. The mountains of Antelope Island created a long north-south running ridgeline. The trailhead was on the eastern slopes of the ridgeline to the north of Frary Peak.

 

Saw a couple of young ladies dressed in what looked like gym clothes starting their hike. I thought they were there for their routine morning jog while with my big backpack, hiking poles, gloves hat etc., I probably appeared dressed to conquer Everest. Started my hike at 8:00 a.m. It was 34 degrees F. Radio had said it was a good 10 degrees warmer than normal. Elevation was 4525 ft.

 

The trail was well-established and headed south traversing up the eastern slopes of the ridgeline. I saw two young men starting to hike shortly after me.

The summit of Frary Peak.

 

summit from near trailhead
summit from near trailhead
Near trailhead
Near trailhead
Summit from lower trail
Summit from lower trail

 

At an elevation of 5100 ft, I reached a broad saddle where a spur trail went north to the top of a rocky high point known as Dooley Knob. The main trail crossed over to the western slopes of the ridgeline going into the shade where it felt colder. The bulk of the waters of The Great Salt Lake came into view.

 

White Rock & Buffalo Point
White Rock & Buffalo Point
Dooley Knob plus the distant Ben Lemond & Willard Peaks
Dooley Knob plus the distant Ben Lemond & Willard Peaks

 

As I stopped often to take pictures (I have posted on this TR less than half the pictures that I took), those two young men got closer. I stopped to let them get ahead of me but farther up they had stopped to rest so I was again ahead of them. This happened a couple of times.

Trail going under big boulders.

 

Trail going under the boulders
Trail going under the boulders

 

As the trail went up, it got out of the shade reaching the crest of the ridgeline where I had good views to the east and west. Snowy sub-peak appeared to the south.

 

Sub-peak
Sub-peak

 

View to Stansbury Island.

 

Stansbury Island
Stansbury Island

 

Snow came to cover the slopes.

 

Buffalo Point
Buffalo Point
Snowy trail
Snowy trail
Sub-peak
Sub-peak
Sub-peak
Sub-peak
Thusrton, Ogden and Ben Lemond Peaks
Thusrton, Ogden and Ben Lemond Peaks
Deseret Peak & Stansbury Range
Deseret Peak & Stansbury Range

 

At an elevation of 6420 ft, I reached a flat area where there was an antenna. Those young ladies were there and just began to walk back down. Summit was a short distance away.

 

Summit of Frary Peak
Summit of Frary Peak

 

To follow the ridgetop to the summit, you had to go up a rocky area. A sign specifically said not to do that and stay on the trail which seemed to go down some 130 vertical feet, traversing a steep slope to reach the south side of the summit. I followed the trail down but soon found myself in the shade on a snow covered northwesterly facing steep slope. The trail in many places came to be covered by hard ice. Since I did not have microspikes, I told myself that I should turn back but I was so close to the summit. I also had not seen those two young men any more so I assumed that they had continued on the trail. Well maybe they were well-equipped or maybe they had decided to jump off the proverbial bridge. Finally reached a really nasty place where I did not even dare to take the camera out to take a picture. I turned around and slowly walked my way back not feeling comfortable until I was out of the icy area.

 

Ice on trail
Ice on trail
Icy trail
Icy trail

 

Reached the flat area by the antenna at 10:20 a.m. having hiked 3.8 miles. No one was there. Sat there to have lunch and enjoy the views. I was 2200 vertical feet above the lake.

 

Deseret Peak & Stansbury Range
Deseret Peak & Stansbury Range
Looking NW
Looking NW
Willard & Ben Lemond Peaks plus Dooley Knob
Willard & Ben Lemond Peaks plus Dooley Knob
Zoomed view of Willard & Ben Lemond Peaks
Zoomed view of Willard & Ben Lemond Peaks
Thurston Peak & Mt. Ogden
Thurston Peak & Mt. Ogden
Stansbury Island
Stansbury Island
The Great Salt Lake
The Great Salt Lake

 

Left at 10:45 a.m. retracing my way down the trail. By the time I reached the saddle near Dooley Knob, I had gone by 8 groups of people who were hiking up.

 

Dooley Knob plus Ben Lemond & Willard Peaks
Dooley Knob plus Ben Lemond & Willard Peaks
Thurston Peak & Mt. Ogden
Thurston Peak & Mt. Ogden
Buffalo Point
Buffalo Point
Looking SE
Looking SE
Mt. Ogden
Mt. Ogden
Dooley Knob
Dooley Knob

 

Below Dooley Knob, a lot of people were on the trail. Reached the trailhead at 12:21 p.m. having hiked 7.06 miles with 2260 ft of ascent.

 

Lakeside Hike

Drove to the north end of the island and did a random 1.72 mile long hike on the shores of the lake.

 

Frary Peak
Frary Peak
The Great Salt Lake
The Great Salt Lake
Ben Lemond Peak
Ben Lemond Peak
Frary Peak
Frary Peak
Ben Lemond & Willard Peaks
Ben Lemond & Willard Peaks
Mt. Ogden & Thurston Peak
Mt. Ogden & Thurston Peak
Thurston Peak
Thurston Peak

 

 

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.