From Ijes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.01023°N / 9.55811°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the easiest way to get to the summit of the Schwarzhorn and will also give you access to the summit of the Grasupitz. It is about 5 kilometers one way from the Älpli Bahn to the summit.

Getting There

Follow the Getting There section on the main page.

Route Description

From the Älpli Bahn head north out of the station on the medium sized gravel trail, towards Kamm. This will soon come out of the forest and out onto cow pastures. Head pass Alp Beitzli. The gravel road will then turn west and start acsending the side of the hill. Once you reach the crest, the Schwarzhorn is visible for the first time. Head down the road and bear left on the first small trail you see. This is signed Ijes. This trail traverses the side of the hill and eventually comes to Untersee, a small lake. From Untersee, the trail heads down the creek. Simply follow the little red and white paint stripes on the rocks. This trail will soon dump you out onto another gravel road, which then goes through a 200 meter tunnel. When you come out of the tunnel, you are in the large bowl where Ijes is located. Before you get to Ijes, identify the Hinter Grauspitz and focus upon gaining the ridge south of the summit. I suggest ascending the small scree field to the left (west) of the grassy ridge. This will bring up to the grassy ridge, which in turn leads you up to the final summit ridge. Follow the summit ridge north over class 2 scree. Re-trace your steps back. For info on continuing to the Grauspitz, click here.

Essential Gear

A good map (which can be purchased at the Älpli Bahn), lots of water, good boots, camera, and whatever else you need.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.