From Kalak Bala Village

From Kalak Bala Village

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.16980°N / 51.50280°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See "Getting There".

Route Description


Place..............Elevation (m).............Distance (Km)
KB Village......2650............................Zero
CH Pass........3800............................6.5
Summit..........4390............................1.5

Total.....................................................8.0




From Kalak Bala Village, follow a streamside trail up beautiful grassy slopes to reach the 3800 m Chooren (or Chehel Khaneh) Saddle. The rocky slopes of Azad Kooh will be to your right (west) while the very impressive walls of the 3655 m Narchoo Peak will be to your left (east/southeast). Chooren Pass will be directly in front of you to the south. You will see a very prominent needle in that direction (see photo PIC 1, PIC 2). Chooren Pass will be to the right (west) of this needle. Make sure you do not mistake it for the 3370 m saddle to the left (east) of the needle at the base of the Narchoo Peak. At the very windy Chooren Pass, you will find spectacular views and plenty of room to camp.

At the Chooren Pass, you will see the southern slopes of Azad Kooh directly to your northwest. These slopes are steep and are covered with gravel. A fairly established trail, however, zigzags up the slope making the climb much more pleasant. Only in a few spots will you encounter rocks covered by slippery gravel.

Essential Gear


In summer, nothing more than good hiking boots.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Azad KoohRoutes