Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 43.18440°N / 109.65429°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 16, 2019

Summary of our Successful Summit

We started our hike on July 13 after checking with the Ranger station in Dubois for trail conditions. There were no problems; water level for stream crossings was normal, still plenty of snow on top from last winter. 

Notes on the stream crossings: we put on our water shoes when crossing the wooden bridge ( water on either end of the bridge), after crossing the bridge stay to your right ( wide gravel path ) you will get on the trail again after crossing some deeper water. 

When coming to a crossing with two smaller logs across the fast running water, it's easier to cross where the horses go; just before the logs on your left, below the trail, you will see a clearing down to the water. We used our water shoes there as well.

Crossing with the big brown tree, to the left of this are several smaller logs, easier to cross there. We found all these alternative crossings on our hike back.

We set up camp about a mile from the glacier. The boulder field was not bad to cross on summit day; it was light enough to see, no headlamp needed. 

The snow condition was great, soft enough to get some nice steps in especially on the steep, no Bergschrund. We had to take off our crampons twice to cross some rock areas. We did not use any rope, not needed. We were on the summit around noon.

We delayed our summit day for one day to get rested plus we had a hail storm come through , high winds and thunderstorm.

 

 

 

 

 

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.