Godfrey Hills South-Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel, New Mexico

Godfrey Hills South-Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel, New Mexico

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 33.38621°N / 105.99572°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 2, 2022
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

Overview

Godfrey Hills rise above the desert plains of southern New Mexico to the west of the Sierra Blanca Peak. A portion of the hills create cliffs that are known as The Palisade. The area is best known for a one room religious relic filled church known as Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel that sits at the base of the hills far from any town or nearby homes. A 0.9-mile trail known as Santa Nino Fourteen Stations of the Cross takes you from the chapel (5330 ft elevation) to the top of a 5900 ft high hill where a big cross has been erected. Along the way, the trail takes you past 14 smaller crosses.

 

From the cross-top 5900 ft hill, I left trail and went to the summit of a 6135 ft high hill and then followed up and down an inverted U-shaped ridgeline that surrounded Crawford Canyon. Along the way, I made it to the top of the 6260 ft Godfrey Hills South and then descended into Crawford Canyon and followed the desert plain at the base of The Palisade back to the Chapel creating a 9-mile loop hike. I did not come across any Private Property Signs but had to crawl under a barbed wire fence on the last section of my trip on the plain at the base of The Palisades.

 

Statistics 

Godfery Hills South Elevation: 6260 ft

Rank: New Mexico’s 2418th highest ranked point

Prominence: 509 ft

Length of this Hike: 9.0 miles

Total Ascent: 1900 ft

Lowest Point: 5285 ft

 

 

The cross-top Point 5900 ft and the summit of Godfrey Hills South identified with icons.

 

 

Trip Report

May 2, 2022

 

Left the vacation rental house in Ruidoso, New Mexico (6900 ft elevation) at 5:20 AM. Drove west on Route 70 going downhill until the town of Tularosa (4500 ft) where I was out of the mountains. Got on Route 54 travelling north on the desert plains parallel to the mountains. The 11973 ft Sierra Blanca Peak appeared as a black shadow to the east.

 

After 55 miles, I turned east onto Three Rivers Road, which was a paved side road going toward Sierra Blanca and The Palisades.

 

Sierra Blanca & The Palisades from Three Rivers Road
Sierra Blanca & The Palisades from Three Rivers Road

 

Reached the parking area for Three Rivers Petroglyphs where a sign said road closed ahead. That was a bummer. All that driving for nothing? But the road was open, so I assumed it meant that Three Rivers Campground at the end of the road was closed.

 

The road became dirt and 8 miles after Route 54, I reached Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel. No one was there but I assumed that someone lived at the chapel to take care of it. Did not see any “No Parking” signs but still wondered if it was okay to leave my rental Jeep there.

 

Started my hike at 6:40 AM. It was 50 degrees F and elevation was 5300 ft. Walked a short distance back along the road until I reached the start of Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail. The 5900 ft hill with the big cross on top of it was visible.

 

Point 5900 ft with the big cross on top
Point 5900 ft with the big cross on top

 

I obviously did not take pictures of all 14 crosses. Here are Stations number 1 and 2.

 

Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail
Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail

 

Continuing up the trail.

 

Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail
Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail

 

Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail
Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail

 

 

I was soon going up the trail under the bright sun. Not even a breeze blew, unlike the previous day when cold wind bothered me on the summit of White Horse Hill.

 

Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail
Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail
Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail
Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail
Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail
Fourteen Stations of the Cross Trail

 

Sierra Blanca and the sun.

 

Sierra Blanca and sunrise
Sierra Blanca and sunrise

 

Station 13 and Point 6135 ft.

 

Station 13 with Point 6135 ft in the back
Station 13 with Point 6135 ft in the back

 

At 7:20 AM and 0.99 miles, I reached the big cross on top of Point 5900 ft.

 

Top cross and Point 6135 ft
Top cross and Point 6135 ft

 

Dramatic view of the cross, Sierra Blanca and the rising sun.

 

Top of Point 5900 ft with Sierra Blanca at sunrise
Top of Point 5900 ft with Sierra Blanca at sunrise

 

I then left trail and began to go up the slopes toward Point 6135 ft. The slopes were covered mostly by yellow grass. Small cacti and other thorny growths could easily be avoided. I was worried about inadvertently stepping on snakes, but I did not see any. View of the cross-top Point 5900 ft.

 

Cross-top Point 5900 ft
Cross-top Point 5900 ft

 

At 7:40 AM and 1.41 miles, I reached the summit of Point 6135 ft. To the south, cliffs and steep slopes went 1000 vertical feet down to the plains below. The cliffs below me were still in the shade. The side of my body that was close to the cliffs felt cool but the other side in the sun felt hot.

 

Plains from ridgetop
Plains from ridgetop

 

I then headed north following the hilly ridgetop that surrounded Crawford Canyon. It was no longer feeling hot, a nice breeze was blowing. Rose Peak seen on the right and the double summit of Godfrey Hills South in the middle.

 

Ridgetop
Ridgetop

 

Another view of the plains to the south.

 

Plains from the summit of Point 6135 ft
Plains from the summit of Point 6135 ft

 

A look back at Point 6135 ft and the distant Black Mountain.

 

Black Mountain plus Points 6135 ft & 5900 ft
Black Mountain plus Points 6135 ft & 5900 ft

 

Continuing north on the ridgetop.

 

Godfrey Hills
Godfrey Hills
Godfrey Hills
Godfrey Hills
Godfrey Hills South plus Rose Peak
Godfrey Hills South plus Rose Peak
Godfrey Hills
Godfrey Hills

 

A barbed wire fence suddenly started. I could have gone to the left or right of it. There were no “private property” signs. If the fence signified private property, which side of it was I supposed to avoid? Since I knew that ultimately, I would need to turn left, I went to the left (west) side of it. For the next mile or so, I hiked along the length of the fence.

 

At 8:52 AM, 3.64 miles and 6105 ft elevation, I sat in a place and ate my sandwich. View of Godfrey Hills South.

 

Godfrey Hills South
Godfrey Hills South

 

Left at 9:07 AM and continued north until I reached the place where I was at the north end of Crawford Canyon and needed to make a sharp turn southwest. Looking south at The Palisades and Point 6135 ft to the left.

 

The Palisades & Point 6135 ft
The Palisades & Point 6135 ft

 

Turned southwest and followed the ridgetop going downhill to a minimum of 5960 ft and then uphill until at 9:40 AM, 4.91 miles and 6260 ft, I was on the summit of Godfrey Hills South.

Looking west at the plains below.

 

Plains below, from the summit of Godfrey Hills South
Plains below, from the summit of Godfrey Hills South

 

Rose Peak to the north.

 

Rose Peak, from the summit of Godfrey Hills South
Rose Peak, from the summit of Godfrey Hills South

 

Black Mountain, Point 6135 ft and The Palisade.

 

Black Mtn and Point 6135 ft, from the summit of Godfrey Hills South
Black Mtn and Point 6135 ft, from the summit of Godfrey Hills South

 

Was then following the ridgetop south.

 

Black Mountain
Black Mountain

 

Godfrey Hills
Godfrey Hills

 

 

The slopes became rocky.

 

Godfrey Hills
Godfrey Hills
Godfrey Hills
Godfrey Hills
Godfrey Hills
Godfrey Hills

 

 

Began to go down the grassy slopes until I was at the bottom of Crawford Canyon.

 

Crawford Canyon
Crawford Canyon

 

At the mouth of the canyon, went through a gate (to keep vehicles out of the canyon I suppose) and was then on the desert plain (6.67 miles). Turned southeast and began to walk back toward the Chapel where I had parked. Suddenly came across a barbed wire fence. Was able to easily crawl under it. The plain was covered by creosote bushes. In most places, I could walk freely, but there were many places where I was forced to whack my way through. Despite pants and long sleeves, I did suffer a few scratches. The going became long and slow. The many small drainages that appeared on the plain, made me even slower. Views of the plain and The Palisades.

 

The Palisades
The Palisades

 

Point 6135 ft and the cross-top Point 5900 ft
Point 6135 ft and the cross-top Point 5900 ft
Cactus
Cactus
Sierra Blanca Peak
Sierra Blanca Peak

 

Was so glad when the frustrating bushwhack was finally over as I reached the road. More views of Sierra Blanca.

 

Sierra Blanca Peak
Sierra Blanca Peak
Sierra Blanca Peak
Sierra Blanca Peak

 

Reached my Jepp at 12:05 PM and 9.08 miles. After eating and drinking, I went to visit the chapel. Was surprised to see that there was still nobody there. The Chapel had been left alone in the middle of the desert.

 

Point 65900 ft
Point 65900 ft
Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel
Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel
Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel
Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel
Entrance to Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel
Entrance to Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel
Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel
Santo Nino de Atocha Chapel

 

 

 

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

The PalisadesTrip Reports