Golden Throne Trail in Rain

Golden Throne Trail in Rain

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.21370°N / 111.1874°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 1, 2018
Activities Activities: Hiking

 

Overview

The 7042 ft high Golden Throne is an impressive tower that rises above Capitol Gorge in Utah’s Capitol Reef National Park. A 2 mile long trail starts in Capitol Gorge and takes you 700 vertical feet up to a spot at 6130 ft at some distance from the base of Golden Throne where you can get a good view of it.

The forecast for the day that I did this hike called for rain starting at 9-10 a.m. I had hoped to get the hike done before the start of the rain.

 

Golden Throne from Pleasant Creek Road
Golden Throne from Pleasant Creek Road

 

 

 

 

The Hike

Started my hike at Capitol Gorge Trailhead at 7:25 a.m. Nobody was there at that hour. I could see black clouds to the east and west but the clouds directly above me looked thin. It was 46 degrees F. Went to the west side of the parking area and began to follow the trail up the slick-rock slopes.

 

At Trailhead
At Trailhead

 

Road below and slick-rock mountains to the south.

 

Capitol Gorge Road from lower trail
Capitol Gorge Road from lower trail
Lower trail
Lower trail

 

 

Black clouds to the west.

 

Black clouds coming
Black clouds coming

 

A canyon by the trail.

 

Ravine by the trail
Ravine by the trail

 

It was not even 8 a.m. when it began to rain slowly. I had my rain pants on. Stopped to put my raincoat and backpack cover on. My knee that I had injured two months prior to that still did not feel right. I was unhappy about that but at least I could still hike.

I then reached a place where I got a glimpse of the southeastern face of Golden Throne before it went away again.

 

First view of Golden Throne
First view of Golden Throne

 

Another canyon.

 

On the trail
On the trail

 

The south face of Golden Throne came to view.

 

Golden Throne
Golden Throne

 

Looking back.

 

Near the end on trail
Near the end on trail

 

Although it was not raining hard, everything had become soaking wet.

Reached the end of the trail at 8:25. Southwestern face of Golden Throne.

 

Golden Throne from the end of trail
Golden Throne from the end of trail

 

Looking south and west.

 

End of trail
End of trail
From the end of trail
From the end of trail

 

Rain became harder. Retraced my way and reached the car by 9:25.

 

 

 

 



Comments

No comments posted yet.