Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 16, 2011
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Winter

Add Heading Here


Hiked up to the summit with my brother. Started from trailhead around 9am, lots of compact snow and ice on the trail. Left the trail and headed up the avalanche gully somewhere around 4000 feet or so, snowshoes not necessary. Veered left and ascended the SW ridge. Two inches of soft, new snow over a very stable, icy layer made it challenging at times. Ice axe and crampons definitely recommended. Warming during the day facilitated some shallow loose snow avalanches, but nothing dangerous. Snow coverage is minimal in places, post-holed down to the heather a few times. Near the summit there was some wind slab deposited in select areas on the ridge, but it was easily avoidable and not in especially hazardous terrain. Made the summit shortly before noon, cleared up enough to see Rainier. Back to the trailhead before 3pm.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.