Halverson Lake Loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.29882°N / 116.52151°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Halverson from the Air

If you live in the Boise/Nampa area, this is a great area for quick and easy dayhikes. There are a few areas in the vicinity that range in difficulty, just depends on your ambition. This is a well traveled trail which offers hiking, fishing, and even hunting. There are several well marked trails from the get go, which eventually turn into game trails the farther into the canyon you venture.

The warmest time of the year at Halverson Lake arrives with high temperatures in the 80's, and the overnight is fairly cooler of course, ordinarily in the 50's. The wintertime brings highs down to the 30's; through the dark hours in the wintertime at Halverson Lake temperatures drop to the 20's.

Halverson Lake is frequently a quiet, waterless location; throughout the month of November you get the most rain around here, and July is when it's the driest.

Getting There

Nampa-
1.) Take 12th avenue South until it turns into HWY45.
2.) Travel South passing the Melba turnoff, dropping into the Snake River canyon.
3.) Turn left on Map Rock Rd (turns into Butte Rd) and follow this until you reach a stopsign.
4.) Turn right onto Hill Rd (turns into Warren Spur Rd) and follow this curvy stretch of road to the dairy farm, yummy.
5.) Turn right onto Sinker Rd and follow until you reach Celebration Park.

To get to Halverson Lake Trail, you will need to travel through Celebration Park. 'Celebration Park was established as Idaho's only archaeological park in 1989. It is located on the Snake River at the western boundary of the Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area. This area was a wintering ground for Paiute Indians along the Snake River. Travelers worldwide have come to enjoy the high desert flora, scenic land features, and unique Indian art dating to 12,000 years ago. Take a self-guided tour or stop in at the visitor center. Guided tours are available by reservation. Campsites are also available.'

Note: The map I've created has the path highlighted from the Celebration Park area.
 

Halverson Lake Loop Arial



Route Description

Looking Down the Snake
Interesting Basalt Moss

From the parking area, head up the trail until you reach the fork in the road. There is a small trailhead here which gives some history of the area as well as flora and fauna information.

Right will take you along the River Rim trail which is mostly traveled by duckhunters and fishermen looking to land 'the Big One'. I have always gone left, traveling up a small basalt embankment which opens up to a large valley filled with volcanic boulders. It is an extremely barren landscape at first glance, but looking deeper you will see alot of interesting facts about the area.

Travel on this trail for approximately 1.5 miles until you start seeing markers on the trail cautioning you to 'stay on the trail'. This area is quite well marked up to Halverson Lakes. This route takes you away from the lake for the 1st portion of the trip and guides you there on the return leg.

Rock Hut

I will mention this point of the trail will get slightly confusing at times due to the amount of old game trails in the area. Head southeast towards the river to meet back up with the River Rim trail.

Continue along this trail, reaching another fork in the road. Left leads to the Little Halverson Lake, while right will take you by an old rock hut which lends all sorts of possibilities for the imagination.

Dayhike Destination

From this point, a trail branches uphill away from the main trail along the river. I simply travel on the old game trails around the old basalt outcroppings towards the other side of the canyon. Doing this will link you up with the return trail leading to little Halverson Lake. When heading back, make sure you stop by Halverson Lake and soak in the view. The Fall season exhibits wonderful colors around its' bank, but I cannot comment on the fishing.

Essential Gear

Be extremely careful of rattlesnakes in the summer months. Plan accordingly with weather conditions as the Snake River tends to be windy when it's calm at home. Ensure you have suffecient hydration due to drastic heat during summer months.

Be Cautious If you have doggies, the Little Halverson area has a huge amount of Goatheads which will wreck havock on puppy toes!


Fork in the Road

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.