Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 20, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter
It was a cold winter day with the temperature at mountain base altitude being about 48 degrees. You can imagine the temperature at 4,000+ feet was nearing freezing at 5pm when summitting. Originally it was a toss up between a US Highpoint and a Southern Sixer. The US Highpoint Sassafras Mtn. was a shorter drive from my apartment in Anderson so it won out. It was a nice 45 min. drive up 178 to get to Rocky Bottom, SC. I actually drove past the trailhead 3 times before I finally convinced myself it was the trailhead. The hike was not bad at all. I took a short water break about three quarters of the way up, but other than that it did not require as much resting as Mt. Mitchell. I was dissapointed at the lack of views from the trail, unfortunately they were not much better from the summit. I was impressed however with the maintenance of the trails. The bridges and steps were very convenient. I summitted about an hour + some change after setting out on the trail. I quickly found the summit register and jotted down my name, climbing date, and time it took to summit. I did notice someones entry of why does this mtn. have a summit log and Mt. Mitchell doesn't, very good question! Anyways I walked around the summit for a little while before discovering an abandoned hunting dog. It was shaking cold and clearly starving to death. I fed it two nutrigrain bars to hold it over for a little while. In the interest of the dogs life I decided to take the road downn the Mtn. since it would be quicker. I was off the mtn. within the hour and stopped by the nearest gas station 5 miles up the road. After buying a bag of dog food it was back to the Mtn. in complete darkness and fog. I drove up to the summit looked around for the dog but couldn't find it so I left it a good bit of food where I had last seen it. Hopefully he's stays alive long enough for some springtime hikers to summit and fall in love with him and if he's lucky he'll find a new home. Overall it was a good hike, relatively easy but I've had easier. Hey at least its not Britton Hill. The hike was well worth the drive and the effort. Thoroughly Enjoyable!

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sassafras MountainTrip Reports