Hochjoch / Giogo Alto

Hochjoch / Giogo Alto

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.76910°N / 10.79970°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To get to Kurzras / Maso Corto in Schnalstal / Val Senales look at the descriptions in the "Getting There"-section of the main page. You can park your car at the parking lot of the cablecar station

Route Description


Grawand photo_id=85606

Alltitude difference: 1240m
Difficulty: II (on the ridge between Graue Wand and Grawand)
Duration: 6h
Trailhead: Kurzras / Maso Corto

Follow the road from the cablecar parking lot until its end. Here take the trail to the right which leads to Hotel Schöne Aussicht / Bella Vista. This trail leads easily upwards between Graue Wand and Steinschlagspitze to a high plateau, the Pian della Cavalla. From here the first steep scramble leads to the Hotel .

From the hotel, get to Hochjoch from where the glacier traverse (Hochjochferner) starts in southeasterly direction. Once you have reached the outposts of Graue Wand, turn around them to the south, always along the edge of the glacier. You'll reach the ascent trail of Graue Wand where the trail meets the northwestern Grawand ridge. Follow the ridge to the cablecarstation on top and further on to the summit of Grawand.

Essential Gear


Hiking gear with crampons. You'll traverse a glacier so be prepared for some ice work.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.