Hog 2

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.98080°N / 110.518°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling, Canyoneering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: ACA 3A II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hog 2 is one of the upper slots in the Hog Canyon drainage of the North Wash area. Many people say it is probably the best of the group due to the large mix of canyoneering moves and scenery found in the canyon. There are many stemming moves, lots of friction sliding, a couple mae west type moves and even a difficult down climb at the end into a glowing cavern if the sun is high in the sky. The feature photo above shows Jacob just about to make the drop into this cavern. Also, there are a handful of long rappels in which to fully do this canyon you will need a 50 meter rope and a 50 meter pull cord.

Hog Canyon SlotsPanorama of the upper Hog Canyon slots from the approach hike. Hog 1 is at left-center with Hog 2 at right-center. Hog 3 is hidden to the right.

Getting There/Route Description

See the main page for directions on how to get here. Start at the upper trailhead and park 2 miles from Highway 276 on the 4WD dirt road where it turns sharply to the right and heads down a big hill. 2WD cars can make it to the start of the hike when the road has been recently graded but later in the summer it becomes too sandy. Follow the approach "trail" along the rim of the canyon. The first canyon is Miss Piggy, which is a very short canyon you may not even notice. The second canyon is Hog One, which has a large, shallow bowl at the upper end. Once you pass around the head of Hog 1 and reach the top of Hog 2, Route-find your way below the Page Sandstone cliff band and onto the sloping Navajo below and work your way into the bottom of the drainage. This should never exceed class 3 down climbing. Once in, start down the easy shallow V-drainage with full exposure to the sun. Stemming works well here as walking in the narrow spots in the very bottom is annoying. You will probably get hot in this section though if you already put your pads or jeans on. You will come to an anchor with a rock wedged into a notch with a long piece of webbing tied to it. This is the first rappel and it starts down some slabs past a couple small potholes and then over an edge down the the bottom of the canyon below. You will finally be in the shade after this 42 meter rappel. You will have to set up a biner block and rappel single strand with a 50+ meter rope and have a pull cord. 

Hog CanyonOn the approach to Hog 2
Hog CanyonMaking the 42 meter first rappel into Hog 2

Hog CanyonLooking down into Hog 2 from the top
Hog CanyonLooking up at the first 42 meter rappel from the bottom

Hog CanyonBridging a slanted section in Hog 2 above the first big rappel

Once down this first long rappel, continue down canyon passing by an open section and follow it as it narrows up and you get to a section you must stem over and chimney your way across a 75 foot section about 30 feet above the bottom of the canyon. This may be a mae west type section...if you fell you would likely get squeezed into the very narrow section just below however the very bottom of the slot below that opens up and if you could descend to the bottom from the start you could walk through a tunnel like slot. Most people chimney across from above though and drop down on the other side. Once across and back down you can look back into the tunnel you just went over. Just past this there are some nice short down climb sections and you will then reach another rappel anchor composed of a piece of webbing around a big chalkstone. This rappel is a two-part drop which starts as a short 5 meter drop to a ledge then continues over the edge another 14 meters to the bottom for a total of about 20 meters. 

Hog CanyonStemming over the narrow section
Hog CanyonWorking through Hog 2
Hog CanyonLooking back at rappel 2 and the chalkstone its anchored from

Just past this drop is another 16 meter rappel anchored by a nice chalkstone which has an awkward start and goes over a lip and becomes a free rappel. Once at the bottom of this rappel there is a nice cove you can explore. Continuing down canyon you will work through a straight more open section with some narrows here and there for about 15 minutes then you will get to the final corkscrew drop that this canyon is known for. If you arrive here around noon the cavern at the bottom will be glowing. Start by squeezing your way down into the slot and friction slide your way down to a cove in the right hand wall where you can rest/wait for others. I found it best to throw my pack down first before making this slide. From the cove, finish the descent by sliding down a little further and jumping down the final 5 feet where it quickly opens. The landing is a lot of nice sand. This is the most technical part of the canyon and beginners may need some assistance. From here the canyon opens up very quickly and you will enter the main Hog Canyon drainage in less than 5 minutes at which point you will choose your exit route all of which are described on the main page.

Hog CanyonJacob studying the last big drop in Hog 2
Hog CanyonBeautiful glowing walls just above the overhanging rappel 3

Hog CanyonLooking up at the overhanging rappel 3

Essential Gear

This canyon requires rappelling gear which includes a harness, belay device (ATC or Figure-8), locking carabiners, at least a 50 meter rope and equal length pull cord, leg protection (I like jeans), helmet and at least 2 quarts of water per person. If you have a large party this canyon can take a full half-day and with the approach and hike out you can expect a full day for this canyon however experiences canyoneers in small groups can do both Hog 1 and Hog 2 in one day with time to spare.

Map

Hog Canyon MapHog Canyon Overview Map

GREEN: Approach Hike - Class 1

RED: Lower Hog Canyon Main Drainage - Class 1 and 2

DARK BLUE: Hog 1 (Boss Hog) - ACA 3A II

LIGHT BLUE: Hog 2 - ACA 3A II

PURPLE: Hog 3 (Razorback) - ACA 3A II R

ORANGE: Northwest Exit - Class 3

YELLOW: Repeat Exit - Class 5.2



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.