Killyon Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.83490°N / 111.7176°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the main page 'Getting There' section for details on reaching the trailhead in Killyon Canyon.

Stats


One-Way Hiking Distance: 4.1 miles
Elevation Gain: 2,904 ft.
Average Gain per Mile: 708 ft.
Trailhead Elevation: 6,050 ft.
Summit Elevation: 8,954 ft.

Route Description


From the trailhead in Killyon Canyon, follow the jeep road which heads north-east along the Killyon Canyon drainage. Approximately 0.6 miles from the trailhead there is a fork in the road; take the right fork which continues in a generally north-east direction.

The road gradually curves toward the east until it arrives at a saddle, approximately 1.5 miles from the trailhead. At the saddle is a 4-way junction with a trail running north-south. This is the same saddle which is reached from the Mountain Dell Canyon / Affleck Park route.

At the 4-way trail junction turn left (north) and follow the trail up the ridge, curving slowly to the west as it approaches the summit.

The true summit is last of several high points along the ridge, approximately 2.5 miles from the 4-way trail junction at the saddle.

Essential Gear


No special gear is required.

The majority of the trail lies on a south facing slope which will be fully exposed to the sun, and very hot in the summer. Dress accordingly and carry plenty of water.

Snowshoes or skis will obviously be required for ascents during winter and early spring.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.