Layla West Face

Layla West Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.88603°N / 42.70317°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: A few days
Additional Information Difficulty: PD
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Add Getting There text here.

Route Description

Add Route Description text here.

Overview

Main guidelines of Layla access are described on the Layla main page. From Mestia get a bus or taxi to Zkhumari village. From the village by a good trail 4-5 hours to the upper camping place which is located right above the shepherds hut at the altitude 2500m. From the Camp trail goes to the Layla Pass (2-3 hours), then descent to another valley to the small stone hut - the place for another camp, from which the Summit can be reached in 6-8 hours if conditions are convenient.

From the last stone hut (which is more lake a cave) the long moraine slope should be crossed to the right to gain long and partly steep scree ridge. From the top of that ridge the big South East glacier can be reached. Cross the glacier (crevasses!) and get to the huge crevasse at the base of the West face of Laila. Climb over the crevasse and continue climbing straight up to the Summit (snow or ice of moderate steepness) or traverse to the right scree ridge and climb the summit. Descent the same way. using the GPS is highly recommended.

Essential Gear

Helmet, 50m rope, crampons, long iceaxe, some icescrews

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.