Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 44.13846°N / 71.7037°W
Additional Information County: Grafton
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2760 ft / 841 m

Lonesome Lake Hut

Lonesome Lake Hut is one of eight backcountry huts managed by the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) within the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. This hut, located on the shores of Lonesome Lake, is the most accessible of the AMC's backcountry huts. It is very popular with families.

There are several approach trails to the Hut. The most usual route is via the Lonesome Lake, Cascade Brook & Fishin' Jimmy Trails. The Lonesome Lake Trail begins at the Lafayette Campground off the Franconia Notch Parkway (I-93 southbound only; if coming from the north drive past the campground on your left and reverse direction at the Cannon Mountain exit). There are several excellent day trips that can be made from the Hut, including a visit to Kinsman Pond, Cannon Mountain, and the north & south peaks of Kinsman Mountain. Lonesome Lake is quite noteable on its own, as it offers a trail that circles the entire lake while revealing striking views of the Franconia Ridge across the notch.

The hut is open year-round, and is a popular destination for snowshoers in the winter. It is possible but difficult to reach the hut with XC skis if the conditions are good.

Accomodations

According to the AMC's website (www.outdoors.org), the 2012 operating season is as follows:

2012: "Self Service" January 1 to May 28 & October 14 to December 31
2012: "Full Service" June 1 to October 13

"Self-Service" means that meals are not provided, but you may use their kitchen facilities to cook your own food. The hut provides mattresses and pillows during the self-service season, but you will need to bring an appropriately rated sleeping bag. I also recommend bringing a headlamp and earplugs.

"Full-Service" includes a full dinner and breakfast, and you are provided with a mattress, blankets and a pillow. Bring your own sleeping liner (recommended) or a very lightweight sleeping bag.

Water can be refilled at the hut (they have a well).

Lonesome Lake Hut sleeps 48 hikers in two large bunkhouses with co-ed rooms that sleep four to six people. Reservations are mandatory (except for A.T. thru-hikers). This Hut typically sells out well in advance for many summer & holiday weekends.

Check Availability (Reservations):
AMC Reservations

Access

Lonesome Lake Hut is the first AMC hut along the Appalachian Trail corridor in New Hampshire:

Note: Huts are listed in order from south to north as they lie on the A.T.
1st - Lonesome Lake Hut
2nd - Greenleaf Hut
3rd - Galehead Hut
4th - Zealand Falls Hut
5th - Mizpah Spring Hut
6th - Lakes of the Clouds Hut
7th - Madison Spring Hut
8th - Carter Notch Hut

The usual route to the Hut is by the Lonesome Lake, Cascade Brook & Fishin' Jimmy Trails (1.6 miles with 950ft of elevation gain).

Distances from the Hut to:
Kinsman Pond Shelter - 2.0 miles (via Fishin' Jimmy Trail)
Cannon Mountain - 2.1 miles (via Around-The-Lake Trail, Lonesome Lake Trail & Kinsman Ridge Trail)
North Kinsman Mountain - 2.6 miles (via Fishin' Jimmy Trail & Kinsman Ridge Trail)
South Kinsman Mountain - 3.5 miles (via Fishin' Jimmy Trail & Kinsman Ridge Trail)
Greenleaf Hut - 4.5 miles (via Fishin' Jimmy Trail, Cascade Brook Trail, Lonesome Lake Trail & Old Bridal Path)
Eliza Brook Shelter - 6.0 miles (via Fishin' Jimmy Trail & Kinsman Ridge Trail)

External Links

Appalachian Mountain Club's Lonesome Lake Hut page
Mohammed Ellozy's Lonesome Lake Hut page
Winter Trails Information for Lonesome Lake Hut
Higher Summits Forecast

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.