Main Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 77.85°S / 166.67000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Switchbacking Trail
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The trailhead begins behind the Byrd Field Center at McMurdo Station, Antarctica. From the galley walk south 0.5 miles along the main (i.e. only) road to the BFC. Navigate around the building, over the large corrogated pipe and onto the trail.

Route Description


As this is a walk-up hike, a thorough route description is unnecessary. The trail is heavily used during the summer and stands out readily on the rocky volcanic slope that leads to the summit. The trail switchbacks approximately 15 times before traversing 20 meters to the wooden cross on the summit. During the winter or after a summer snow storm, the trail is obscured. Heading straight for the summit is usually your best bet.

Essential Gear


A windbreaker is a must. The summit is often considerably windier than in McMurdo. Sunglasses are also recommended. If you walk briskly, layers are not necessary other than for wind protection.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.