Moab with Dow

Moab with Dow

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing

Overview

Moab is a wonderful destination for anyone - there are so many natural wonders around (just think of Delicate Arch), the surrounding national parks - Arches and Canyonlands, incredible mountain biking, and of course the rock and its sandstone towers. I love Moab and although I live less than 3 hrs away via car, I visit only a couple of times a year. Somehow my life became more busy than expected with work and renovating my old victorian home, somehow the college payments for my son were more than I expected, so I ended up being stuck in my work more and more.
Thank you Dow for inviting me to join you and your friends for a 3 day climbing trip and incredible camping below Castleton. You dragged me up some hard stuff, which I would not be able to lead, I had tons of fun, and loved watching evening light reflecting on Castleton. 

Our itenary: 
Day 1: North Chimney on Castleton (my 2nd time up that tower, first time was via Kor Ingalls) - warm up for me since I have not climbed the whole summer
Day 2: Washer Woman tower in Island in the Sky, Canyonlands (In Search of Suds) - incredible scenery, need to come back
Day 3: Sorcerer's Apprentice, right side tower, by mile marker 1, Colorado River (page coming out soon, it was very dirty and hard)
Day 4: Time to go home - quick visit to Island in the Sky (I avoided national parks in recent years because they don't allow dogs, and since Duchess had a sitter at home, I was free to do some hiking).

Castleton - North Chimney 5.9 warm up

Nice new cairn
Nice new cairn by Castleton parking lot.

Evening light on Castle
Nice evening light on Castleton as seen from our campsite.
 
Approach to Castle
Beautiful approach to Castleton.

2nd pitch
2nd pitch of North Chimney on Castle

Summit of Castle
Summit of Castle with a nice view of the Rectory, Nuns and Priest.
Splattski
Self photo inside North Chimney


Washer Woman 5.10d - the rain/clouds/thunder and then it passed...

Approach to Washer Woman
Approach to Washer Woman - nice little hike by its own means...

Angry skies
The debate in the car was going - should we be climbing when the weather looks like this?

Higher up on the approach
Washer Woman on the right and Monster Tower on the left

2nd team
We had two teams (we drove together since the drive is rough and long - over 2 hrs)

Morning sun and clouds
Morning sun and clouds reflecting on Airport Tower (the large one in the middle), and Monster Tower and Washer Woman peaking behind on the left side of Airport Tower.

Saddle between Washer and Monster
There is a fixed line leading to the saddle between Washer (on the photo) and Monster, which would be to the left.

Fixed rope on the approach
Fixed rope on the approach to saddle between Washer Woman and Monster Tower.

Monster and Washer Towers
Monster Tower  - left and Washer Woman right.

In Search of Suds
In Search of Suds  5.10d - 1st pitch and Dow getting over the crux move.

 
2nd pitch Search of Suds
Looking down on the start of 2nd pitch - our 2nd team sitting at the first belay anchor. I am just above the eye.
 
Washer Woman and Monster Tower
Washer Woman and Monster Tower as seen from Mesa Arch, Island in the Sky - probably one of the more famous spots to view this incredible formations
 
Storm rolling in
Storm was moving in our directions and thunder was accompanying our climb. Monster tower as seen from the 2nd pitch of Washer Woman.
 
Monster Tower
Monster Tower as viewed from the top of 3rd pitch on Washer Woman.
 
Rain and Thunder
Rain and thunder are not good on the summit of towers... Dow searching and making quick rap descent anchors. At least we summited first 3 pitches, our 2nd team did only 2.
 
eye
Eye on the 2nd pitch of Washer Woman.

Sorcerer's Apprentice, Right Side 5.11 - very dirty climb (it was raining a lot the previous days and there was so much bird poop)

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Sorcerer's Apprentice - a small sort of a tower by mile marker 1, above Colorado River.

Views from Sorcerer's Apprentice
Nice views down onto Colorado river.

Sorcerer's Apprentice Route
3 pitches leading up to a little summit, and the route offers all, cracks from fingers to stacking hands, off width, overhangs, chimney and stemming, cool belay cave spot on 2nd pitch and tons of dirt and bird poop.

1st pitch of Sorcerer's Apprentice
Dow on the first pitch of Sorcerer's Apprentice - the climb was really dirty after all that rain (or is it always like that?)

Muddy Colorado
All that rain and floods in Colorado made the river muddy.

Good times
Good times of camping below Castle - one cannot get tired of that view.


Brief visit to Island in the Sky on the way home

Anasazi Granary
Anasazi granary on the top of Aztec Butte. Photo with camera timer.

Summit of Whale Rock
Summit of Whale Rock as seen from the south.




Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.