Moose Lake Road trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.02550°N / 113.505°W
Additional Information Route Type: steep hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

You can reach the trail by traveling down I-90 toward Missoula until you hit Route 1. Then take Route 1 to rt-38(AKA-skalkaho pass) Take rt-38 for 9 miles until you get to Moose Lake Road. Take a left on Moose Lake Road, (a dirt road) and drive 12 miles to the base of the mountain. You need to find a place to park, which you can find within a mile of the trailhead. There are several parking areas along the side of the road.
The trail begins right before you reach a private street. Driving towards the mountains on Moose Lake Road, the street is on the left. You walk a few yards, and then hang a left and go up a steep, steep trail. It leads you to the summit.

Route Description

It starts on dirt road, and a few yards up, to the left, is the trail in the woods. It starts really steep, so you will be huffing and puffing by the time you get up the first part of the trail. It is then gradual, then steep, then gradual, then steep, etc, etc. It winds around the mountain a few switchbacks. Follow the trail, until you reach the grassy summit with unobscured view towards the Pintler mountain range. When you get near the top, you can't see a thing. You just scurry up the last part, and then you see the Pintler Range in front of you. The tree remnants are the summit.

Essential Gear

Good hiking shoes due to roots and occassional mud. Class 1 hike.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Huff PuffRoutes