Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.02887°N / 114.9527°W
Additional Information County: Bragg Creek
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7995 ft / 2437 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Moose Mountain Fire LookoutMoose Mountain
A popular hike in the Bragg Creek area. This minor peak is just the thing if you are looking for a 1/2 day hike with some altitude gain. You will find people of all ages from all walks of life on this easy trail to the summit. Winter ascents would be fun on skis. But this required a longer approach as the road to the parking is closed for the winter season. A fun approach is to mountain bike the first portion. But this shortens an already short day. But is a great option for a 1/2 day of training. Bring water as there is little to find on route. Roughly 3,000 feet of elevation gain or a 7 k walk. This is a popular destination with the locals to watch the sunset especially on the Summer Solstace.

While this is an easy hike. It can be very windy here. There is not much in the way of cover once you leave the forest. Bring proper gear and dress accordingly.

Getting There

Moose MountainMoose Mountain
From Calgary head to Bragg Creek either via the TransCanada west to the signed exit. Then south on 22. When in Bragg creek take the road to the left towards Kanaskis Country. A few kilometres after you have passed the Ranger station you will see a road to the right with a wooden sign "Moose Mountain" This very dusty road will lead you to the trail head parking. There are often mountain bikers on this stretch of road. Try and keep the dust down as you pass them in your vehicule.

Red Tape

Moose Mountain ABMoose Mountain
There is not much in the way of red tape here. There is a Ranger station on the summit with an adjoining helecopter pad. The Ranger is there to work and is not a tour guide. So try and respect their privacy. If you mountain bike the last section is closed to this activity. So leave you bike at the sign post and continue the last 10 minutes on foot. You will get your fun on the return route.

The road to the parking is closed in the winter months up till the middle of May.

Camping

No camping on the mountain.

External Links

Add External Links text here.