Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 46.78878°N / 88.19°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall

Overview

Above Sarah s Waterfall.
The last weekend most campsites are open in Michigan, why not plan a trip past Marquette, past L'Anse and climb Mount Arvon...

Getting There

Drive up the trail...
Once we arrived in L'Anse and took a short bathroom break after a couple hours of driving 40 mph in a Jeep in the snow...yes, it started to snow on October 10th, 2009.
The road down from Skanee is a dirt road and it dead ends at a Lake, there is a sign on the right side of the road that points you in the direction of Mount Arvon.
Keep following the signs, even if there isn't a big Blue sign, there are little blue signs stapled to tree to help you along the way.

Red Tape

Sarah at the boulders
I am glad I had my Jeep Wrangler this trip because since it snowed, there was plenty of water all of the trails and it got pretty bumpy. I read about a 'gravel pit' that you have to drive through, but what we drove through was only a large puddle.
The biggest issue was some of the hills and the snow. I could see how you couldn't make this trip in the Winter with a normal passenger car, do NOT try that!
Once you reach the 'parking lot' there are boulders on your right that block the rest of the road. This is for 4-wheelers to drive up, but not for normal vehicles. Park there (as it shouldn't be too crowded) and start hiking up the road.
After a few switchbacks (haha, more like easy turns) there is a trail on the right leading up to the very top.

Camping

As for camping sakes, this was a 4 day/3 night trip for us. The first night we camped in Linwood on Lake Huron. The second night we camped at Gitchee Gumee, East of Marquette on Lake Superior. The last night we drove down to Mackinaw City and camped at Teepee.
I did not bring my 4-season Mountain Hardware tent and I am very upset because it dropped to 25 degrees Friday night when we were in Marquette and that was not comfortable.

I was more comfortable sleeping at 11,500 on the DC on Mount Rainier.

The U.P.

If you have never been to the U.P. please plan a trip for next year soon. You may want to go earlier in the season as it got quite cold, but the colors of Fall were in full effect and I wouldn't have traded this trip for any other trip in Michigan!

The Summit!

At the Summit!
Sign your name at the Sign-In Book, take a 'hero' shot at the sign, but then.............walk off to the NorthWest and take a look at the view.
Now the Summit doesn't have a full panaramic view, but even from 1979 feet up, the view of L'Anse & Lake Superior is breathtaking!!!!!

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
surgent

surgent - Oct 13, 2009 5:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Trip Report

This would make a better trip report, to be attached to the Mount Arvon page already in existence. You have good photos! This is meant to be constructive.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Oct 13, 2009 7:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Trip Report

Agreed with surgent.

Neat material, nice photos, etc., but would best serve the community as a trip report attached to Mt. Arvon.

Cheers,

Sarah

WranglerX

WranglerX - Oct 13, 2009 10:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Trip Report

Done and done.

surgent

surgent - Oct 14, 2009 6:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Trip Report

I enjoyed the photos. On my visit I neglected to take anything other than a summit shot and one lousy shot of trees that could be anywhere. Good work.

WranglerX

WranglerX - Oct 15, 2009 9:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Trip Report

When were you up der?

surgent

surgent - Oct 15, 2009 3:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Trip Report

Way back in May 1998. Beautiful country.

stinkycheezman33

stinkycheezman33 - Oct 14, 2009 8:31 am - Voted 10/10

looks like fun

nice pictures! good to see those ol' logging roads again...it's been a few years since i was down there

WranglerX

WranglerX - Oct 14, 2009 1:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: looks like fun

yeah, most of the side roads off of the main trail were blocked off. I have some other pictures of the roads...I'll post them soon!

Viewing: 1-8 of 8

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount ArvonTrip Reports