Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.40727°N / 87.94084°W
Additional Information County: Keweenaw
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1466 ft / 447 m
Sign the Climber's Log
As with most of my pages, this is best viewed on a widescreen...

Overview

Mt. HoughtonView to the east on a gorgeous autumn day.
Mount Houghton is one of many "mountains" in the Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan. These hills (which include, Mt. Baldy, Brockway Mountain, Gratiot Mountain, Mt. Bohemia, the Cliff Range and others) all rise quite abruptly from the surrounding terrain, often 500 feet or more, and provide spectacular views in every direction around the Keweenaw. Mount Houghton specifically is located very far out in the Keweenaw and as such is not very heavily known about or visited. The trail to get there is not hard, in fact it was once an ATV trail, but it is a short jaunt to get to the top, and the scenery will blow you away!
Mount HoughtonIcicles form along the south bluffs in winter.

Getting There

Getting there is the fun part of Mount Houghton.

The best approach for summer/fall involves taking the Mandan Loop and some sketchy back roads, and then a short hike. The Mandan Loop branches off of US 41 a little more than 3 miles past the Lac la Belle Rd turnoff (I use that as a reference because it is very obvious and a good place to start paying attention). Once you get to the Loop, follow these directions to get there:
Travel down the Mandan Loop for 3.7 miles, and you will come to a junction.
Turn Right at the junction, reset your odometer, and go ~0.15 miles to another junction.
Turn Left at this junction, and go until odometer reads ~0.43, turn left again.
When you get to ~0.63, turn left yet again.
At ~1.0 miles, turn Right.
I would advise parking around the junction at ~1.1 miles. From there it is an easy walk on some crappy roads and then an old ATV trail. You will walk uphill a bit (continue on the road you were on) and after a couple hundred yards you get to an old gate. Past the gate is the trail to the top.

In review, upon reaching the junction off of the Mandan Loop, turn Right, Left, Left, Left, Right. That's confusing, I know, so if you are handy with maps, just follow this link and it will speak for itself. The link starts at US 41.






A note on the Mandan Loop: the road is driveable, but rough. Towards the end of this route, you probably want something with clearance, or 4WD, but a car might make it. As an example, my Subaru Outback made it no problem, but there were times where if, for example, it was muddy or wet I would not have made it. Beware, but it is a relatively good road.

Another note: for winter access, the Mandan is not accessible. Snowmobiles can get it, but nobody wants those things in the backcountry anyway... I had success hiking this approximate route in winter 2011, when Smith Fisheries Road was plowed. Try as you may, it is not too far from the road in any direction so it should be a pleasant snowshoe from whatever angle you try from.

Red Tape

None that I'm aware of. It's on CFA land, and as such is open to the public unless they are actively logging.

Mount HoughtonThis place has a lot to explore, from little icicle formations to gradiose views.
Mt. HoughtonThe Keweenaw in autumn is a sight to behold.

Camping

None available, but you wouldn't want to camp here anyway...too close to ATV trails and such.

Mt. HoughtonThe true summit is tree covered; the views come from bluffs lining the north and south sides.
Mt. HoughtonThe views to the north are just as good as to the south!




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
The Keweenaw PeninsulaMountains & Rocks