Mudlick Mountain CCC Shelters

Mudlick Mountain CCC Shelters

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 37.27030°N / 90.5181°W
Additional Information County: Wayne County
Additional Information Elevation: 670 ft / 204 m

Overview

There are three stone shelters located on the north slopes of Mudlick Mountain in Sam A. Baker State Park, Missouri. The lowest of these shelters, which were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's, is arguably the most scenic. It sits on the edge of a cliff almost three hundred feet above Big Creek Canyon and it's lovely shut-ins. This is one of the most beautiful campsites in the midwest during the fall colors of late October.

The stone shelters are three sided structures with a stone fireplace on each end. I spent the night in the lowest shelter after summiting Mudlick Mountain in April of 2002 with nighttime tempuratures in the low fourties. I did not even get into my sleeping bag as we had a fire going in each fireplace making for a toasty shelter.

External Links

Sam A. Baker State Park



Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

OzarksHuts & Campgrounds
 
St. Francois Mountains (MO)Huts & Campgrounds