My Area Collections - Wetterstein

My Area Collections - Wetterstein

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Bouldering, Hiking, Wildlife, Flora, Scenery

Description

This album contains images from memorable hikes in the Wetterstein mountain range in southern Germany. The Zugspitze, the highest mountain in Germany, is part of this range. Most images are from hikes up the Hoellental (hell's canyon) from Hammersbach (750 meter) and up to the Riffelscharte (Riffel saddle; 2,161 meter). From there I climbed the Suedliche Riffelspitze (southern Riffelspitze; 2,263 meter) and descended the Riffelkar to the Eibsee (Eib lake; 1,000 meter). From there I returned to Hammersbach. Other hikes I've done in this area are the climb from Hammersbach to the Osterfelderkopf and descent into the Hoellental via the Hupfleitenjoch.

The Hoellentalklamm is a very popular narrow canyon hike to the Hoellentalangerhuette (Hoellentalanger hut). From there most climbers will ascend to the Zugspitze. The trail up the west slope of the Hoellental to the Riffelscharte is very scenic and much less crowded. I often times did not see any other hiker all day. Some exposed passages are secured with cables or ladders, which are very invigorating and fun. The climb from the Riffelscharte to the summit of the Suedliche Riffelspitze involves some climbing along an exposed ridge (UIAA I).

Most images were taken between 1994 and 1996.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
John Kirk

John Kirk - Sep 25, 2008 5:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for sharing

Nice collection - good to see stuff from days gone by.

SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Sep 25, 2008 6:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for your comment. It was very nice for me also to have a look at those photos from many years ago. I spent a lot of time on these mountains 10-15 years ago. Cheers.

Ivona

Ivona - Sep 29, 2008 4:01 pm - Voted 10/10

beautiful

album!! I like this area very much.Very impressive way back to the past.
greetings
Iwona

SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Sep 30, 2008 1:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: beautiful

Thanks for your nice words and vote. Yes, I have very fond memories of this area. Cheers, Guido

TyeDyeTwins

TyeDyeTwins - Oct 24, 2009 1:03 am - Voted 10/10

Great 1...........

Nice album. Lots of beautiful pictures in here. Way to think inside the beauty box. Happy Trails

SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Oct 24, 2009 2:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great 1...........

Thanks. I look at these pictures myself quite often. Cheers.

RayMondo

RayMondo - Nov 2, 2009 3:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Hell's Canyon

It's a Hell of a place!

SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Nov 2, 2009 4:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hell's Canyon

very impressive... I would like to return to that area one day...Cheers

Viewing: 1-8 of 8


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.