Northeast Ridge via Allsop Lake

Northeast Ridge via Allsop Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.75270°N / 110.7126°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike with scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This route to the summit of Yard Peak begins at the East Fork Bear River trailhead. Refer to the main page 'Getting There' section for directions on accessing this trailhead.

Stats

Round Trip Hiking Distance: 19.0 miles
Elevation Gain: 3,581 ft.

Trailhead Elevation: 9,125 ft.
Summit Elevation: 12,706 ft.

Route Description

This route follows the maintained trail to Allsop lake, followed by routefinding and scrambling to the summit of Yard Peak. The Allsop Lake trail from the East Fork Bear River trailhead is well maintained and easy to follow.

From the trailhead the trail descends briefly for the first 0.5 miles, then begins a very gradual ascent as it follows the East Fork Bear River, staying on the right side of the river.

At 3.7 miles the trail splits, with the right fork continuing along the west fork of the river towards Priord and Norice Lakes. Take the left fork which continues south along the east fork of the river. The trail makes one brief switchback just after the the trail junction, then continues in a southward direction as it gradually gains elevation.

At 8.5 miles the trail arrives on the south shore of the scenic Allsop Lake. The rugged east face and summit of Yard Peak form the scenic backdrop to the west of the lake. Allsop lake is a well situated camping location for a multi-day trip.

Beyond Allsop Lake there is no trail to the summit, so routefinding will be required from this point onward. Proceed around the west shore of the lake, then climb a few hundred feet up the forested slope to a high plateau directly east of the peak. From this plateau there will be a clear view of the peak, and the approximate route to be followed to the summit.

There is a low saddle at the far right of the ridge extending down from the summit. To the left of this saddle is a steep couloir which climbs up through the cliff bands, as seen right of center in this photo . Head up the scree and boulders to the base of the couloir, then carefully ascend the couloir, being cautious as there is much broken and loose rock underfoot.

Above the couloir the angle eases slightly, with the summit 1,100 vertical feet above. Begin the long scramble up the rounded north-east ridge, which is steep and involves much boulder hopping, but otherwise not too difficult. Many of these rocks are large and unstable so proceed with caution.

The summit is fairly large and level, with the high point being near the far west end.

Essential Gear

No special equipment is required for an ascent of Yard Peak.

Insect repellent is a must until late summer.

Water is abundant throughout the area - bring a suitable purification method.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Yard PeakRoutes